neymar jr.

slumber

22:00

Entering their bedroom from the bathroom, Neymar witnessed Natalia spread across their bed. Her face planted into her pillow, her arms crossed under her body, constantly shifting her sleeping position like she was uncomfortable; it looked like she was going through it. And Neymar thought so too. In fact, deep down, he knew what was up, it was the same old every time. And yet he decided to be careful and mindful and simply ask just in case.

Approaching their bed, he sat at the edge of the bed. At the tiny sound made by the bed, Y/N let out a small groan, causing Neymar to scoff a small laugh. She still isn't asleep yet. His initial thoughts were proving to be right. Rubbing her back, he wondered, "You okay, Nat?"

Exhaling loudly, she turned herself around so she was now facing her partner. She began rubbing a hand over her face, whole yet tired, "I've been in bed for how long and I've gained no desire to fall asleep." And Neymar's initial thoughts were, indeed, correct.

After a long day of work, errands and many chores, the ordinary individual wouldn't take rest for granted. If they were given the chance to lay in all day, to ignore and avoid all the responsibilities of tomorrow, to sleep and not have to worry about work the next day, they would take it; anyone would. To rest up and be told that your responsibilities were long gone, it all sounded like a dream, one so attractive and irresistible.

But according to Natalia's sleeping schedule, it seemed as if she did take the daily rest for granted from time to time. She could work, do chores and run errands, and she would still find herself tired as hell. Sleeping was where the problem lay. She had told Neymar some hours ago that she would turn in around eight because of her long day; two hours later and she was still awake, rolling around on the bed trying to find a comfortable position.

"Trouble sleeping?" Neymar hummed, letting their hands interlock. He definitely felt for Natalia. For her (sometimes) sleepless nights, for the nights he came back late and she was still awake. The tired eyes, the worn-out expressions, the deep breaths; she had to endure all that fatigue he couldn't take away nor did he know how to directly help with. He gave her hand a little squeeze. "We could always stay up and do a little something to help."

Her eyes closed, she sighed low. "And do what exactly?"

Neymar shrugged, even though she had no sight of him. "Anything you want."

Soon she did have her sight on him, opening her eyes to meet his. "You sure?" Natalia appreciated Neymar's efforts to make her feel better, she really did. But she didn't want it to seem like she was forcing him to lose sleep too. Like herself, Neymar had a long day and she knew his plan was to turn in if she had fallen asleep by now. And seeing as she wasn't, she knew that Neymar wouldn't get a blink of sleep before she did. "You don't have to, you know."

"Well, I want to," Neymar said with his grin, and Natalia rolled her eyes but in the end, it was the two of them that were laughing, clutching onto one another. He spoke like his words were so obvious, like Natalia should know by now. Of course I'll stay up with you. In what case have I not? "Now, c'mon."

00:15

"Diagonal or horizontal cut?"

"Vertical."

The look of disgust and confusion on Neymar's face had Natalia letting out a gasp before laughing, so much that she'd to cover her mouth. Despite this disgust and confusion, Neymar carried out her request by cutting her sandwich down the middle, muttering the whole time saying that there was now less bread compared to if he'd cut it any other way. But when he served her the sandwich and Natalia was smiling, taste-testing and approving his "cooking" skills with her thumbs up, he let his argument go and joined her.

In the dimly lit kitchen, Neymar and Natalia enjoyed the atmosphere they created, one kind and smooth. They laughed at every joke told, they played around as they moved about in the kitchen, they ate (and shared) one another's food. A bit of banter here, with Neymar modelling his cooking apron, and a bit of banter there, with Natalia dashing flour in her partner's face. It was a moment for them to have fun and be unserious, and that's what they did; that's what they chose to do at such late hours.

While they discussed, while they played around, while they ate and shared their food, fatigue slowly began to wash over Neymar. The hidden yawns through laughter, fanning his face to keep himself alert, his curved posture; he was ready to turn in. But watching Natalia enjoy every snack they made—witnessing her animately tired eyes—she wasn't ready for bed, nowhere near it. So he mustered up his energy and continued to entertain their conversation.

01:30

Trailing away from the kitchen, the couple wandered out to their back patio. Where the couches that were all so comfortable and cosy gave them a space to lay down and rest under the night sky. Where when the lights were on, they would star gaze, awing and pointing upward even though they had no knowledge of the stars, galaxies or any otherworldly wonders. Where the two could shy away from everyone else after a long day apart, a space for discussions that were purely gossip.

So that's what Neymar did. He let the focus of the discussion fall on Natalia, letting her take the lead on everything being said. From her work colleagues to random interactions she'd had with strangers, she brought it up. And they would have fun and be so unserious about everything; from Neymar encouraging more the gossip with his agreement and laughter to every word his girlfriend spoke to Natalia letting the discussion flow smooth like a river, her inflection and speech natural yet animated and open.

Under the stars, the galaxies and any otherworldly wonders—gossiping, laughing and more—Neymar slipped further into his fatigue. His yawns began to drown out his laughs, his eyes constantly caving and opening, Natalia holding onto him more than he was with her; he could've fallen asleep as if he so desperately wanted to.

But watching Natalia enjoy the stars and fun and unseriousness that they were sharing—hearing her shallow breaths against his shoulder—the desire to fall asleep for the night still wasn't there for her yet. And neither was it for Neymar, so he leaned back into the couch and let the lights, both indoor and nightly ones, keep him awake during their gossip session.

2:53

Eventually, the two returned to their bedroom. Ridding themselves of their kitchen activities, they got ready for the night by laying in bed. In their bedroom, in bed, Neymar and Natalia could've done so much and more. From the innocent cuddling to one's natural intimacy. For the purpose of sleeping, they chose to lay in bed– close and intimate– and listen to music.

Music that was calming and comfortable, sounds that had the couple slowly caving into one another. Voices of artists playing that were also lullabies themselves, loud silence replacing conversations as they soon began to fall short. They remained present, of course, but just simply slower and inward and lagged from the two falling in and out of consciousness.

Under the cosy voices of singers, the silence soon became deafening. Neymar's fatigue was far too present and real, so much that he could feel it, perhaps even reach for it. His yawns were too sounding to hide now, he found himself mumbling with closed eyes, the music began to slip out of his ear range. He was ready to fall asleep, and that sleep was ready to pull him under.

Barely opening his eyes and turning his head, he smiled drunkenly. And there Natalia was, fast asleep in a slumber, her body leaning perfectly into his, her breaths shallow yet calm, her face just above the blanket. Witnessing Natalia asleep, in such peace and respite, Neymar finally let his pending fatigue too, wash over him to join her as he always did.