kai havertz.

family validation

Approaching the idea of meeting a significant other's family had Y/N on edge, at first glance. Never had she ever reached this far in a relationship, where family and friends were introduced to her up close. Previous relationships closed away never stretched so far before so this was new for her. Not that she didn't prioritise those relationships. It was more the matter that, collectively, neither she nor previous partners were close enough to share who they had at home.

That's why her nerves got Y/N at her worst. There was the realisation and understanding her ties with Kai was something genuine. Perhaps it would carry on in the long term.

First impressions were important, to Y/N at least. And in such a situation they were deemed to be crucial on her part. Irrelevant criticism—never critical—came in every direction from strangers. Social media, fans, mutual followers. Y/N, however, denied every single comment and turned it away, focusing on relevant matters. Though when it came to meeting family, Kai's family, she knew that she couldn't deny their opinions about her or choose to be stubborn. Their views mattered. Whether good or bad, acceptance was the sole option; she had no say over how they viewed her for their son or brother. You shouldn't overstep another family's boundaries while a stranger.

And with all of this in mind, there was no need to be perfect. But maybe simply better than who came before her.

And all of this didn't stem from insecurity or indifference for herself. Understanding her worth as one always came to her aid. But when you lack experience, being a rookie in something that sounds so easy—interacting with your partner's family—you begin to feel disadvantaged from the jump. An evident setup for failure. And it was crazy for Y/N to think about since she normally strayed away from being asocial. She wanted to get along with Kai's family and be someone they saved in their contacts. But the fear of judgement remained sturdy in her mind.

She wanted to be liked, to be favoured over others. Appearing like a people pleaser wasn't the intention though that's how she came through on a surface level. I wouldn't call it desperation, but rather necessary validation. She had no say in whether she differed from the others. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. If Kai's family didn't like her then there was simply no point in Kai and Y/N. In her eyes, family validation was essential for any relationship, fuelled by good intent rather than pride. It was your personal support system, and Y/N didn't want Kai to stand on an awkward middle ground.

As the one who proposed the idea, as the one who had gone through the same complication, Kai understood Y/N's nerves acting up. He knew the fears of approaching judgement and validation; he knew of the fears of facing rejection and having to accept it (which he never had to experience). The doubts, the pressure, the anticipation—nothing Y/N felt was foreign to Kai. She always remained strong and deep in her feelings so he wouldn't try to dissolve her of everything she felt. Instead, Kai would tend to them if in need of assistance.

So he was there to reassure, to comfort, to encourage. As soon as they woke up, when they were getting ready, on the way to his parents' house—he was there to give her some encouraging words. That Y/N's worries were understandable yet exaggerated; that she would be loved over hated; that she would be embraced rather than rejected. Doing everything he could to ensure her confidence. He recited the words she spoke to him when they visited her family: they already know you as I do, you'll be fine.

And he wasn't lying as she didn't either.

The feeling of being nervous subsided over time, confidence and being comfortable becoming prominent. Light on her voice, heavy on laughter. From his parents to his siblings, only positive vibes were given. All this time she was caught up with the fear of being disliked that being favoured by everyone never crossed her mind.

To be embraced, to be included in every game or conversation had Y/N feeling accepted by Kai's family. They shared differences yet everyone took her just as she was. All of this and everything gave Y/N and Kai the indication that maybe, just maybe, they were okay with the two exploring their relationship further.

────────────

For kendallsregium