mason mount.

lacuna

Y/N was excited to preview Mason's tattoo. He spoke on it every day; you could hear the excitement in his voice when it became the topic of discussion, but his hesitancy showed as the day came closer. The idea of having one came to mind right after Chelsea won the Champions League, knowing the tattoo would be inspired by that day from the outset. So Y/N simply supported him seeing that was all they could do. That's all they wanted to do for him anyway, his rational and emotional support.

Glancing away from their sketchbook, they noticed the black ink along his abdomen. Their brows raised as they bit down on their lip, refusing to comment. Y/N's face remained blank of reaction. They had to hold themselves back, refusing to offend. However, their reaction, quickly came before it could go, and from there, they couldn't stop. "That's it?"

Mason's face slumped. There was the offence they didn't want to cause. Though they knew it was bound to happen with their commentary on everything, even it wasn't spoken with words. "That's it?" He glanced down at the tattoo, his face scrunching up a bit. It wrote, 29.05.21, the date of the Champions League Final. He believed there was much meaning behind it. What are they seeing that I don't? "What, so you don't like it?"

Y/N let out a soft chuckle. They knew they wouldn't be able to hold back for long. "I'm just thankful it's temporary and not the real thing." Approaching Mason they glanced over the ink, rubbing a thumb over it. Looking at it up close than afar and hearing out Mason's reasoning both failed to shift their opinion on it. "I'm sorry! For your first one, I find it very simple and underwhelming. I expected more from you." They took his face in their hands, squishing his face in between their fingers to get a reaction out of him. "I mean don't let my opinion stop you from what you want to get. My judgement doesn't hold that much weight."

What they spoke was sincere and genuine. Their opinion was their opinion, and they wouldn't push it on him. Understanding why Mason deeped it so much was something beyond their knowledge.

"Well, it does and it has for a while. Now I don't like it like that because you don't." He took their hands into his own, observing them as the two's fingers intertwined. Butterflies between their fingers, a ring placed on the ring finger despite being out of wedlock, m.m. marked on the side of their hand. And there was more body art, just elsewhere. While he was going for his first, Y/N had a number beyond the finger count.

That's why he valued their opinion so much. Some tattoos held meaning, others didn't yet they were still fun and appealing to admire. Besides, Y/N was the one to approach him with the idea that a tattoo was worth getting, and he took that prompt and ran with it. He wanted to meet their expectations even if he missed out on his own in the process. He looked to them, asking, "Help me out. What do you think it's missing?"

"I don't know," they said with a small huff. Really, there was nothing inherently wrong with Mason's choice; it was fine, but there was potential for it to be better than just fine. It was hard to fix something with no inherent faults to it. Their eyes wandered around the shared room, soon landing on their sketchbook. "Do you still have any extra ones?" Seeing as he was only testing it out, the tattoo was only temporary.

Digging his hand into his pocket, he found a blank template. "Yeah, why?"

Dimples poking out, they took it out of his hand. "Let me try something with them," they said, dragging him over to their desk equipped with their art supplies.

And for a moment and a few, Y/N and Mason recounted the Champions League, and how everything went—anything really to spark inspiration and ideas beyond the date. From the first match against Sevilla to the training sessions, and then the finals itself. The conversation was a memory in motion, something of the past yet the events of the summer lived clear in their minds. There was so much to talk about, so much to remind themselves of. The achievements, the win, the emotions that tagged along with everything. All that yet so little to say in ink. Fortunately, ideas were narrowed down and with time, a design concept was drawn.

Glancing away from the wet sponge they pressed against his abdomen, Y/N laughed at Mason looking at them with boredom clear in his face. They didn't let him have the slightest glimpse of the design concept they came up with so he was left out of the loop with what it looked like. "Just give it a minute." They kissed his lips, and he couldn't resist breaking out with a smile, laughing a bit too. "... and what do you think?"

Mason turned to the bathroom mirror as they removed the sponge and plastic off his skin. There, on the other side of his abdomen, was the Champions League cup with a dragon loosely wrapped around it, inspiration sourcing from Chelsea's win and where they won, Estádio do Dragão. It was perfect in sight and presentation. From the shading to how lifelike the tattoo turned out to appear, there was no denying how his partner could work wonders in their job field.

Mason, however, decided to joke before he could congratulate. "That's it?" They hit him with the sponge, and he chuckled. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding! It's amazing. I love it," he said, bringing them into a kiss. He pulled away for a moment, angling his head in admiration. He knew he was right to value their judgement over his own. "Thank you, Y/N."

────────────

For formula1l0ver

This wasn't written with accurate knowledge of certain things so just excuse that 😅