kai havertz.

titled (pt. 2 of untitled)

A match ending in a win had the boys in high spirits entering the changing rooms. Vibrant smiles everywhere, exchanging handshakes and hugs, vibes far too high to fall low again, chosen beats switching the mood every few minutes. There was something satisfying about winning a rather difficult game; the rest—everything that followed after—was all too rewarding to want to let go of.

Though, the chosen beats really did switch up the mood every few moments. Old school Drake faded out with a slow and calming singer replacing him for the next few minutes. They heard her voice—Y/N's voice—and everyone went apeshit crazy. All eyes soon fell on Kai, his teammates calling his name, phones already out to record him.

"Oh, here we go again," Mason rolled his eyes, breaking out into a smile. "Another one for Kai, of course." It was common fact that Kai was a heavy subject in Y/N's music and that left no room for the player to even avoid his teammates' teases. Y/N didn't consume the whole of the team's shared playlist, but she did to be heard more than enough throughout the day.

Kai laughed, taking off his jersey. "You guys always to have to be so obvious with it?" He would never hear the end of it from his teammates; they loved to tease him about it, some more than others. The mention, sound or hint of Y/N from anyone, and all glances would fall upon the player. He simply couldn't, and would never, escape his teammates.

"There's so many about Lover Boy that's he's gotten used to it!" Timo said, and he was right. There were more songs about Kai than he could count on his fingers. He was simply the nature, focus and soul of Y/N's music discussions, and there was no shame to it. Not everyone could say that they inspired a song, let alone a whole album.

And Y/N wrote about so much more than just she and Kai, of course; she could carry variety and sophistication with ease. Though she, Kai—the two as individuals—and the relationship was constantly changing. Evolving moods, stages, their ways to communicate with one another. And with that came infinite topics or stories to cover in her discography.

"It must be nice," Christian sighed, turning to his teammate. "Hey, didn't you say Y/N was supposed to release another song soon?" The players were shameless fans of her and more. Everyone was and could be, admitting it or not. Collectively or alone, they kept up with every release, every local event. Always asking for free passes to concerts (they thought it was unfair that Kai could receive all that and more), posting her songs on their socials. Never did the boys fall short of supporting one of their favourite artists.

Kai huffed out a breath as he sat down, ruffling his hair. "Yeah. Uh, it's supposed to come out today or something." He unlocked his phone, and his eyes widened when he took notice of the time. "Wait, no. It should be out now, actually!"

"Someone hurry up and put it on!"

"Okay, okay, I got it," Reece said, seeing as he was the last one to play with the music. He typed and scrolled through his phone before nodding, smiling softly. He had an early feeling that he would enjoy the song. "It's called Interference." He let the volume in the room fall low before playing the song.

It started with a lonely moment of silence—almost like hollow air—before they let her voice fill the room, a bit of shushing so the boys could listen to her words. I mean listening to Y/N was an experience by itself for the boys, for anyone really. They found it so easy and comfortable to fall into her music, her voice, her tunes, her melodies. From the excited looks shared around the room to recording their pure reactions to the song, there was a lot for the team to say. Though, in short, the boys thought Y/N sounded amazing.

Her voice kind and tender, yet almost like she was in the room with everyone else, voice bouncing in infinite directions to reach everyone's ear range personally. After playing a game, sure, it was nice to vibe to music that fit the mood. Tunes upbeat and with max bass, songs claiming victory and the feeling of being beyond the world, something to excite bodies more and keep the adrenaline flowing. That was something but Y/N let the boys sit back and drift the focus away from football, to let loose and relax as they should.

Kai could remember it all like he was right back in the music room all over again, sitting next to Y/N and watching her play the piano and finding her zone. It isn't perfect, as she would say, and I don't want it to be that way anyway. It had all of its imperfections. It was imperfect. Now more refined and volumised in voice, but that familiarity of Y/N, of her music, of their relationship still remained. All that peace and security and love she spoke on so much—it was all still there, through her voice and beyond her fluid words.

When Y/N's voice faded out Ben fell back in his place, a dreamy smile crossing his face. "I mean-- Kai. She is just," he blew a chef's kiss, a hand hanging over his heart, "wow."

Kai chuckled when the boys were quick to replay the song. "She is, isn't she?" He was very proud of her. For what she created, for what she brought to life, for everything she sourced from a few words scribbled on a piece of paper. Not only because the players liked her music. That was indeed a positive, of course, but rather that she let others feel a certain or different way. That's what she wanted to do, and that's what she delivered. Y/N always did.

"And... this is gonna be on my repeat playlist by tomorrow for sure."

And somewhere, back in the music room, that pride was felt by Y/N. There was a dimple to her grin, a curve to her lips. The players blasted the song in the locker room, singing the lyrics they had yet to know, rocking with the song more than she thought of it herself. The sight of the players (mainly Kai) feeling euphoria galore was enough to get Y/N beginning the creative process for another music project once again.