ben chilwell.

taken in silence

Y/N came through to be asocial, at first glance, and the assumption was correct. And presenting herself as shy never helped her case. Heavy interaction with unfamiliar faces could never get past simple greetings. Being the center of attention or everyone's focus never seemed appealing in any way, shape or form. She preferred to cave into herself, to drift into the back of the crowd. Not that she constantly turned away social interaction. It was more that she refused to be motivated by it with anyone; limiting herself to a selective few fit her preference with social interaction.

Her presence across digital spaces was slim to nothing, and that's how she wanted everything to remain. She wanted to live through everyone around her, to be exclusive to close friends and family. Having digital strangers wandering in and out of her life through pictures and videos online in exchange for followers and clout didn't sound like something worth investing in. Not for others. She didn't care as to what others did, but for herself. Keeping those in her life close and constant, however, did.

And Ben respected Y/N's boundaries. Only small fragments of their relationship lived on the internet through his socials, censoring prominent. With her permission he posted whatever he could of the two. Intertwined fingers, videos of their conversations, Y/N's profiles aside from a front one. Appropriate body parts, soft voice, various angles—that's all he offered of his girlfriend online. Never could you see her face, never could you get enough audio to identify who she was through the voice. Y/N was a ghost of a girlfriend; Ben had a girlfriend, but only he and a few others could see her in full.

Sometimes the player did wish he could post Y/N in full, you know? To confirm their relationship with a picture of them two; to have Y/N attend a match of his without the fear of cameras on her; to treat his girlfriend as his girlfriend in public. But he knew better to go after or suggest something Y/N was openly uncomfortable about. Everything she chose to do—everything she chose not to do—it was done with a reason to back the decision. If she could do everything Ben wanted, believe me, Y/N would. But her timid and anxious personality wouldn't allow it.

In times when they were in secluded public, like a team dinner, it was then when Ben wished Y/N was known by everyone across the board, that including some of his teammates. He heard the flirtatious words from his teammates, the comments on everything beyond her personality, and he wasn't a fan of it. Others openly fawning over her without thought while he couldn't didn't sit right with him.

Her timid ways didn't cause her appearance to stay quiet too, and wandering eyes always drifted in her direction. Soft and round face, silk voice, feminine in every aspect. Body, sensitivity, her ability to listen to someone speak across the large table. She didn't have to do much to impress.

"Mate, no," Ben told Mason after he spoke a few words on Y/N. She sat with a few of the girls far down the table. He sighed, rubbing his eyebrow. He wasn't trying to create a scene. If he brought attention on himself it would only fall over Y/N. "Just don't do that, please."

Mason turned to his teammate as his smile dropped. "Really. Why not?" Ben pointed to himself then pointed to Y/N before interlocking his index fingers together. Slowly, Mason nodded as his eyes widened. Glancing between Y/N and Ben, he exclaimed, "Oh, I see. How was I supposed to know though? It's not like you've mention her like that." Y/N's presence was so dim, in real life and on social media, that even Ben's teammates forgot that he had a girlfriend.

Ben laughed as his teammate nudged him, relieved that there wasn't much to explain. He took a large sip of his drink. "I know, I know. . . It's complicated to explain, but that doesn't matter."

He never did confront his teammates when she was around, but she noticed every time he did. Pulling his friends to the side to talk away from everyone else; moving the conversation along if it ever fell on her; making excuses for her absence in a conversation. Even in public he maintained her privacy. It was evident that his actions were motivated by being absently protective and jealous. Though she knew at the end of it all, he wanted to keep what was of Ben and Y/N reserved for only them.

────────────

For tyna-19. I had to put a bit of a backstory to this. This isn't a traditional one, I guess, but hope you still like it.

Just for anyone who has requested a 'jealous' imagine, I'm not that varied with the ideas I have for them. And I don't want to write the same thing for all of them so if you did request one and you want to change it then you can comment it or pm me. If you don't then I'll just do what I can.