39 || Christmas

"Happy Christmas, Des!" Crabbe shouted, shoving me clean off the common room couch.

"Ow." I groaned, sleepily rubbing my back.

"Get up! It's Christmas!" Goyle yelled, jumping onto the couch.

"Happy Christmas boys." I mumbled, wrapping my blanket around my body. I sat between Crabbe and Goyle and let out a yawn.

"Here." They chorused, shoving boxes onto my lap.

"No, I told you two I didn't want anything." I shook my head, looking down at the four boxes in my lap.

"You never ask for anything, ever." Crabbe stated.

"But we like to get you things." Goyle added with a smile.

"So, hush and open these before Draco wakes up and crashes our party." Crabbe told me, pointing down at the boxes. With a sigh, I picked up the largest box. I peeled the wrapping off the box and pulled it open.

"Oh, I love it." I smiled, pulling out the green and grey knitted blanket. On the corner facing up, the Slytherin crest sat proudly embroidered on the beautiful blanket.

"Mom said she knew you didn't like to be outside in the winter, so she made you this rather than a sweater." Goyle beamed.

"Tell your mom I love it." I smiled back, running my fingers over the soft yarn.

"Of course." He nodded, taking the box from me so I could open my other gifts. I grabbed another wrapped box and tore into it.

"What's this?" I asked, pulling out a small velvet box.

"Just open it, Des." Crabbe said. I opened it and saw a new charm for my bracelet; this time, instead of a crab, it was an orange heart.

"Aw, Crabbe." I smiled, plucking it out of the box. "It's perfect."

"Here, let me clip it on for you." Crabbe offered, clipping the charm onto the bracelet beside his crab.

"Mine next." Goyle pressed. I opened up his gift and laughed.

"You two always have to coordinate, huh?" I asked, pulling the black heart charm out of the box.

"Of course." Goyle laughed, clipping the charm on beside the gargoyle.

"And this one is from Diggory." Crabbe said, pointing to the last box.

"Well, before I open that one, thank you guys for these gifts. I appreciate it." I beamed.

"Open Diggory's gift. We promised him we'd get it to you." Goyle said, rolling his eyes.

"Nearly hexed us because we told him we wouldn't." Crabbe added.

"You are terrible. Cedric's a great guy." I defended, ripping open his gift. I smiled down at the new charm; a badger. "I'll have to find him later to say thank you."

"Happy Christmas Des." The boys chorused, planting kisses on my cheeks at the same time.

"Happy Christmas Vincent and Gregory." I smiled, kissing their cheeks.

"Happy Christmas, love." Draco yawned, walking down into the common room.

"Happy Christmas, dear." I smiled, pulling him down beside me.

"We're going down for breakfast. See you down there." Crabbe and Goyle announced, leaving the common room.

"I got you something." Draco muttered, pulling me to his side.

"You shouldn't have gotten me anything." I responded. "You already do so much for me.

"I like to get you things, love. You don't have much, and I like giving you things to call your own." Draco explained.

"Well, I have you, and that's all I need." I responded, leaning up and planting a kiss on his lips. It was the first kiss we've shared since we got together last term, and we pulled away with smiles on our faces.

"I can't give you much for Christmas, so I guess that'll have to do." I said, offering Draco a grin.

"That'll do just fine, love." Draco replied with a large smile. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box. He popped it open and set it in my palm.

"It's a gift from my mother, father, and I. It's similar to the one my mom has." Draco began explaining, pulling the silver ring out of the box. "Except rather than a skull, I had a snake enchanted on it for you."

"It's beautiful." I commented, taking in the silver snake ring.

"It's enchanted." Draco repeated. "If the snake is wrapped around your finger, you're safe. But if the snake raises its head, you're in danger."

"Draco, it's absolutely wonderful." I smiled. He grabbed my right hand and slid it onto my ring finger.

"Promise me you'll always wear it." Draco said, squeezing my hand. I felt the silver snake wrap around my finger and set its head right below my knuckle.

"I promise." I whispered, nuzzling into his side.

"Do you want to get breakfast?" Draco asked, wrapping his arm around me.

"Not yet." I answered, playing with his hand.

"Alright, love." We sat in silence for a few minutes before the common room door flew open.

"Happy Christmas, Desdemona." My father sounded. I turned in Draco's arms and offered my father a smile.

"Happy Christmas, dad." Snape smiled, offering me a box and sitting beside me.

"What's this?" I asked, sitting up. Draco unwrapped his arm from me, but placed his hand on my knee.

"Open it." Dad urged. I opened up the unwrapped box and let out a soft gasp. Inside the box was a framed picture resting on some type of fabric. The picture was one that was enchanted to move, and it showcased my father with a rare grin wrapping his arms around a beautiful smiling woman.

"Is that...?"

"That's Nova." Dad smiled softly. "I thought you would've liked to see her smiling face."

"I- thank you." I whispered, feeling a wave of bittersweet happiness wash over me. My mother smiling at the camera and then smiling over at my dad made me feel happy, but the fact that I'd never get to see her smile in real life made me sad.

"You're welcome, darling. There's something else." Dad said, a glint in his eye. I pulled the fabric up, revealing that it was a new cloak.

"Dad." I breathed, holding the midnight black cloak in my hands.

"It was your mother's. She wore it all the time at Hogwarts." Dad commented, smiling fondly.

"Thank you, dad." I said, throwing my arms around him in a hug. He let out a surprised laugh and then hugged me back.

"I feel terrible." I pouted. "I can't get you anything. Or Draco, or Goyle, or Crabbe. Or even Narcissa."

"Don't worry about it, love." Draco said, shaking his head.

"You do more for people than you realize, Desdemona." Dad said, a small smile spreading on his usually scowling features.