36 || Detention

The time had come for the first detention of the week. Naturally, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle insisted that they accompany me to and from the detentions with Umbridge. They claimed they didn't want me to get lost, but I knew they just wanted to make sure I was okay.

"I hope she doesn't have you do anything too bad." Goyle mused as we rounded the corner.

"Whatever it is she throws at me, I can handle.' I said, determination laced in my words. I refused to allow some Ministry lapdog to get in my head.

"Good luck in there, Des." Crabbe smiled, reaching over and patting my head.

"We'll be waiting for you." Draco promised, kissing my cheek. I rolled my eyes at the trio before making my way to Umbridge's office. As soon as I walked in, I noticed Harry writing lines. Easy enough, I thought.

"Ah, Miss Littlesea. Take a seat." Umbridge greeted with a broad smile. I sat one desk away from Harry and watched as Umbridge approached me with a piece of parchment and a red quill. "You'll be doing lines for me, just like Mr. Potter. And, you'll be using this very special quill of mine."

"And what shall the lines say, professor?" I asked, picking up the curious red quill.

"You will write the same as Mr. Potter; 'I must not tell lies'. Write until I tell you to stop, understand?" She asked. I nodded slowly. "And, don't worry about ink, you won't be needing any."

With that, I started writing my lines. At first, the words were showing up in red, but as I continued to write, the words turned red. When I started feeling the top of my hand burning, I realized that Umbridge had given Harry and I blood quills to write with. I glanced up at Umbridge, seeing a look of anticipation in her eyes, willing me to swallow my pain. However, a gasp escaped my mouth as the blood quill etched deeply into my skin the words 'I must not tell lies.' I ignored the satisfied look on Umbridge's face and continued writing my lines. At the end of the hour, my right hand was still writing lines, while my left hand shook with each new mark.

"That's enough for this evening." Umbridge announced. "Same time tomorrow, and we'll see if we can't get the message to sink in a little deeper."

I gathered what I came in with, eager to get back to Draco and my friends, but not giving Umbridge the satisfaction of seeing my eagerness.

"Miss Littlesea?" Umbridge called out to me as I pushed open her classroom door. "Do not wear your charm bracelet for the rest of your detentions; the rattling of your charms is cause for a nasty headache."

Rather than turning on her and spewing a heated response, I turned to her and offered her a forced smile.

"Of course, Professor." I spun on my heel and headed out of the classroom.

"How did it go?" Crabbe was the first to notice my approach. I shook my head and shook out my left hand, hoping to get the pain to go down.

"What?" Draco asked, watching me with furrowed brow. "What is it?"

"Nothing." I replied, shoving my left hand into my robe. "Just a little cramp, is all. I've been writing lines for the past hour."

"You don't write with your left hand; why would it cramp?" Draco asked, eyeing me suspiciously.

"It's nothing, dear." I reassured him, grabbing his hand in my right hand. "Come on, I'm ready to head to bed."

"If you say so, love."

========

Another session of torture at the hands of Dolores Umbridge. I sat, still writing lines beside Harry, blood pouring from our hands and onto the stone floors of the classroom. I ignored the pain as much as I could while I wrote, feeling sweat forming on my brow and faint from the blood loss. However, I refused to give Umbridge the satisfaction of seeing my pain. Umbridge sent Harry off, meaning- hopefully- that she would cut me loose too.

"That's enough, Miss Littlesea." Umbridge announced. Without warning, her hands darted forward and squeezed my left hand. I bit back the cry of pain formulating in my throat and held my head up weakly. "Off you go."

I quickly made my way out into the hallway, nearly tripping over my feet as I went.

"Mona?" Draco asked frantically. In an instant he was beside me, taking me into his arms and gently reaching for my left hand.

"What's happened?" Crabbe asked, sounding equally as frantic.

"Don't ask her what happened, get her to the hospital wing!" Goyle commanded.

"No!" I protested, shaking my head against Draco's shoulder.

"Why not, love?" Draco asked, taking my left hand in his.

"Can't let her," I paused, taking a breath. "Know that she's winning."

"Love, you're not okay." Draco said with an even tone. "You need to get your hand looked at."

"What is that?" Crabbe gasped, getting a good look of my hand as Draco examined it.

"'I must not tell lies.' It's what Harry and I have to write with one of those horrific blood quills." I said, wincing as Draco's thumb grazed the flesh.

"You have to tell Snape." Draco decided, his eyes burning with hatred.

"No, no I'll be okay." I shook my head, not wanting to worry anyone else.

"Not if you keep doing this!" Goyle exclaimed.

"No, I can handle it." I told them all, pulling away from Draco and heading up to the common room alone.