4 || First Year

Desdemona hadn't known about Harry Potter, or why he was so famous- but she did know that he was one of her classmates, and wildly popular too. It was common among the house of Slytherin to talk down to and about Harry, but Desdemona couldn't find it within her to do so. Especially after she found out what it was Harry'd done to be dubbed the Chosen One.

Coming from a muggle life, Desdemona believed that she, herself, was a muggle born witch. She couldn't get behind the mocking or teasing of Harry strictly because she wasn't upset that he'd inadvertently defeated Lord Voldemort. Blood purists, Desdemona learned, were still common. The thought made her sick.

During the Halloween feast, the unassuming Professor Quirrell had shrieked about a troll breaking into Hogwarts and stomping around the castle. This threw many of the students into a frenzy, but Desdemona remained calm. She'd learned about trolls, and knew that it couldn't have gotten in on its own, and wouldn't be up on this floor unless it followed whoever let it in.

During Christmastime, Desdemona wandered the castle halls. She'd never celebrated a proper Christmas, and didn't know how to go about it now that she was surrounded by people but was awfully lonely. However, when she found the Mirror of Erised- and it showed her two figures without faces- she felt more alone than ever. Desdemona pined for her family, despite telling herself constantly that she didn't need them.

Rumors of Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, and Hermione Granger ran rampant around Hogwarts, spreading like a wildfire in a dry field. The rumors told tales of the trio fighting off a three-headed dog, playing wizard's chess on a large game board, and even reducing poor Professor Quirrell into nothing more than dust. Of course, those rumors turned out to be true, which made Desdemona uneasy being in the castle.

Summer came quickly, leaving Desdemona unsure of where she would go. She reluctantly packed her bags, not ready to leave the magical world she'd grown accustomed to behind. Unfortunately, Desdemona hadn't made very many friends during her first year at Hogwarts. This was because she'd spent all of her free time reading ahead in the courses she was to be studying.

Before the opportunity arose for Desdemona to attend Hogwarts, the young girl hadn't had any education. She learned all she knew through experiences she'd lived through- none of which were lessons taught in a classroom. She was more versed in the ways people behaved instead of being versed in maths or literature.

Desdemona jumped at the chance to attend school, and she was very good at it. The Sorting Hat was right to stall his decision on the girl, but was ultimately wrong with the houses it decided Desdemona belonged in; she was wildly intelligent, picking up on new subjects quickly. She was eager to prove to her classmates that, even though she hadn't shared their upbringing, she deserved to learn just as much as they did.

Professor Snape, of all people, had taken a liking to the young witch. He'd almost admired her ability to learn new things, especially because she excelled brilliantly at potions.His other students- Hermione Granger included- struggled to grasp even basic potions skills, and most of his students- including the ever-so promising Draco Malfoy- had completely botched their first potions assignment. Professor Snape especially liked that Desdemona had taken initiative and asked to brew more advanced potions.

So, it was no surprise to Desdemona when the potions master collected her and her belongings from the Slytherin common room. She hadn't questioned the silent man, she simply picked up her owl- named Lucina- and followed him to the headmaster's office.

Professor Dumbledore smiled softly at the girl, motioning to Professor McGonagall to proceed with the meeting. The head of Gryffindor house told Desdemona that she could provide her a room in Hogsmeade Village for the summer. Of course, Desdemona refused the offer, claiming that she couldn't accept the offer extended to her. However, all three professors urged the girl to accept, informing her that all expenses would be taken care of, including a little extra money for items she might like to buy from the shops in the village.

With an offer like that, Desdemona got comfortable in a room at the Three Broomsticks. Lucina was set free during the nights, and kept Desdemona company during the day when the young girl would read. That's all Desdemona spent her extra money on; books about magic. She read books about magical creatures, subjects she'd study in her upcoming years at Hogwarts, and potions.