23 || The First Task

The day had finally come where the Triwizard Tournament would truly begin. After dressing in the green and black jersey complete with my last name scrawled across the back of it, I took a moment to step outside and compose myself. I managed to get a moment of peace, which was quickly broken when three bodies crashed into my own.

"Ow." I whined, shoving the boys off of me. "Get off, you three! I'd like to be whole when fighting this dragon."

"But, we don't want you to fight the dragon." Crabbe said, looking extremely worried.

"What if you don't come back to us?" Goyle asked, looking nervous.

"I'll be fine." I tried to reassure them. "Are you doubting my skills?"

"No, we know you're capable." Draco chimed in, looking equal parts worried, nervous, and scared. "It's just... you've never even been near a dragon before."

"Look, you lot." I said seriously, looking them each in the eye. "If I'm not afraid to face this dragon, you guys shouldn't be scared either."

"You promise us right now that you'll come back." Goyle demanded, grabbing my shoulders.

"I promise that I will come back to you guys." I promised, cracking a smile. "Hopefully still in one piece."

The three boys let out laughs of their own, making me feel better about facing this dragon.

"Okay, now, you go get a good seat." I told them, shoving Crabbe and Goyle towards the stands. "I want you front and center when I defeat that dragon."

"Please, be careful out there. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you." Draco said, pulling me into his arms. I hugged him back and sighed, nodded against his shoulder.

"Young love!" Rita Skeeter screeched, snapping a picture of Draco and I hugging. I ignored her and looked up at Draco.

"You best beat Potter." He smirked, leaning down and kissing my forehead.

"You know I will." I nodded, giving him a slight shove towards Crabbe and Goyle. "Now, go. Get a good seat."

I watched them walk away before ducking back into the tent, ignoring Rita's smirking face.

"Good day, champions!" Dumbledore grinned. "Gather round please."

I stepped forward, landing myself between Harry and Fleur, and glanced at the extra body in the circle with narrowed eyes.

"Now, you've waited, you've wondered, and at last, the moment has arrived. The moment only you five can fully appreciate." Dumbledore continued, glancing around the circle. He did a triple-take at Hermione Granger before turning and facing the girl. "What are you doing here, Miss Granger?"

"Oh, um..." Hermione stuttered. "Sorry, I'll just... go."

"Barty." Dumbledore called, watching Hermione exit the tent. "The bag."

"Champions, in a circle around me." Crouch requested, grabbing us gently and arranging us in the order he liked most.

Fleur reached into the bag first, pulling out a miniature version of a Welsh Green dragon. She and her headmistress shared a look before Crouch moved onto Krum. The Bulgarian reached into the bag, pulling out a miniature Chinese Fireball. Karkaroff looked pleased with the selection, smirking at Krum as Crouch extended the bag to Cedric. The Hufflepuff pulled out a miniature Swedish Short-Snout, looking over at Harry as the younger boy reached into the bag. Harry pulled out a feisty looking Hungarian Horntail, and shot me a worried look as the bag was extended toward me.

I reached into the bag, grabbing hold of the last miniature dragon inside. As I pulled my hand from the bag, I sighed at the sight of a Peruvian Vipertooth. Though small in stature, the dragon I was to face was one of the most deadly to humans. How did the Ministry approve the use of this dragon in a tournament meant for teenagers?

"These represent very real dragons, each of which has been given a golden egg to protect." Crouch explained the task. "Your objective is simple; collect the egg. This, you must fo, for each egg contains a clue, without which you cannot hope to proceed to the next task. Any questions?"

We all stayed silent, all eyes resting on the Peruvian Vipertooth in my hand. Dumbledore seemed slightly shaken at the sight, but didn't say anything.

"Very well." Crouch nodded. "Good luck champions. Mr. Diggory, at the sound of the cannon-"

Before Crouch could finish his sentence, Filch fired the cannon, signifying the start of the first task.

========

After Harry's epic adventure with his Hungarian Horntail, I was to retrieve my egg next. It took a fair few minutes for the handlers to get the Horntail back under control, giving me a few more minutes to strategize. When the cannon sounded, I made my way out into the arena.

As I stepped onto the uneven rocks before me, the Peruvian Vipertooth was released across from me. It quickly climbed up onto the highest rock and glared down at me. I gripped my wand in my hand and took a breath.

"A Peruvian Vipertooth?" Draco snapped through the silence. "Are you mad?"

"Get out of there, Des!" Crabbe shouted. I ignored them both and cast a disillusionment charm, causing me to blend into my surroundings. The Vipertooth looked around, clearly confused that I had disappeared. I made my way over to the corner opposite the egg quickly, and threw smaller rocks around. The noise caught the attention of the Vipertooth, just as I'd planned, and I made a mad dash for the egg across the arena.

"She's got this!" Zabini cheered, the whole of Slytherin house roaring behind him as they realized my plan. However, halfway through the arena, the disillusionment charm had stopped working, and the Vipertooth's eyes snapped right to me. I tried to cast the charm again, but my wand wasn't working. It seemed as though someone had managed to turn my wand off.

I swore loudly, turning to face the stands. I threw my wand at Draco, and glared at him as his eyes focused on the fast-approaching Vipertooth.

"You wand." I snapped.

"What?" Draco asked, his eyes wide as he glanced down at me.

"Your wand, Malfoy." I requested, turning to look at the Vipertooth. "Now!"

Draco frantically dropped his wand into my awaiting hand, and I raised my hand to perform a stunning charm. But, the Vipertooth lunged forward and bit down on my arm, causing silence to befall the spectators as I hissed in pain.

"Get her out of there!" Snape demanded. I took a breath and casted immobulus onto the dragon, taking advantage of its frozen state to pry my arm from its mouth. I threw Draco his wand and stumbled my way towards the golden egg. When I reached the egg, all feeling in my right arm had gone, and my vision was fading. However, I picked up the egg with my left hand and collapsed onto the rocks just as my vision failed, and the ringing in my ears got too loud to handle.