"I'm Adeline," she grinned. I took her hand and shook it.

"I know, I'm Zach," I replied.

"I know," she chuckled again. How can one person be so chirpy?

"LOOK OUT!" someone cried. I turned in time to have something smack right into my face.

"Ow!" I hissed through gritted teeth. My whole face was searing in pain. It felt like my whole face had been split open. I reached up to my nose and felt blood. Great! One of the hot guys came over to grab his ball.

"Sorry man, you alright?" asked Oliver, Leon's best friend and co-caption on the local soccer team.

"Of course he's not alright, he's bleeding you idiot. You probably broke his nose. You shouldn't be kicking that thing in here anyway. You're lucky a teacher didn't see," Adeline barked at Oliver, who looked taken back. She'd jumped to her feet in my defence, and I have to give her brownie points for that. Oh god, the blood won't stop. I grabbed the bottom of my shirt and pulled it up to my face to help catch all the blood now pouring out of my nostrils. Good thing this wasn't my favourite shirt.

"We should get him to the nurse's office," came a third voice. I glanced up to see Leon Mackenzie looking worryingly down at me.

"I'll take him, you boys have done enough," Adeline snapped, grabbing my elbow and helping him up.

"I'm the one who kicked it, I feel responsible," Leon defended.

"You are responsible, dummy," Adeline replied and tried pulling me towards the cafeteria doors. Leon followed close behind despite Adeline's rejections. And I was so glad he did.

The blood had stopped by the time we reached the nurse's office, but Adeline insisted we go inside anyway. Leon insisted on coming in also, despite Adeline's glares of disapproval. The nurse cleaned me up and left to find me a new shirt; Adeline went with her, leaving me alone with Leon. I was seated on the bed, he was leaning against the wall looking sexier than ever.

"I really am sorry I hit you," he said to me earnestly, looking right into my eyes as he ran his fingers back through his hair. It was making my stomach do back flips. I was the only out gay guy in our entire school. He knew that right? How could he not? Wasn't he embarrassed to be alone with me? What if people thought I'd contaminate him? Okay Zach, stop thinking so much.

"It's okay," I mumbled shyly. Oh how lame.

"You're Zach, right?" he asked, I nodded. "You coming to the game Friday night?" he asked. I shook my head. Speak dammit! "Why not?" he wondered.

Okay, now I had to speak, make it cool.

"Dunno." Great, well done, so smooth. NOT!

"You should, my team's playing. It's the first game of the season. Oh, I suppose you're not into sports," Leon laughed. I smiled back.

"No I am. Well actually no, not really," I laughed too. Leon grinned.

"That's cool. It's more than sports though. The band plays, and the cheerleaders dance during half-time, and there are lots of great snack stands. They do this hot-dog covered in chips and deep fried, it's really good," Leon told me, talking with his hands. He looked really happy, he was obviously very passionate about the whole thing.

"Okay, sounds good," I agreed. I couldn't exactly say no when he was so excited. Right then the nurse returned with Adeline holding a new shirt.

"It's a bit worn, but it's better than the slaughter house," Adeline laughed, handing me an old faded brown shirt with a few holes in the side. I took it and stood up, pulling off my bloodstained one and trying on the brown for size. It turned out to have a cartoon of a ginger cat on the front.

"Awesome, I love cats," I beamed, looking at the cute little face.

"Alright now, lunch is almost over, you better get to class," the nurse told us, and ushered us out the door. Adeline hooked her arm with mine and grinned.

"Let's go, we have the same class next," she said and led me away. I glanced back at Leon before we rounded the corridor, and he smiled at me. Maybe I was just delusional from the loss of blood.

Aw man, and I didn't even get to eat my pudding cup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What did you think? Vote and comment below to let me know what you think of this new twist on the old classic!

Mouki out~