96. A Promised Trip

Cyan POV

Yet again, I've been left in the dark about a great deal of issues. Lore, Draven, and even Seren knew of what the Holy Church has been doing, what the monarchy has been doing, and have started working to tear them apart at the seams while I was set aside. Being let into the fold should ease this frustration. Is it not proof that Lore views me as necessary for the mission? Or was he convinced by Seren? Because I can easily imagine him arguing on my behalf, if only because he seems to be the only one who doesn't baby me!

"Cyan," Draven calls behind me for the sixth time. I've been counting ever since I left Lore's office, meandering around the estate with no clear destination, though I find my feet carrying me towards my lab.

"Cyan, wait," he repeats. The tip of his fingers brush mine. I yank my arm away, pivoting on my heel. Not expecting my sudden stop, Draven stumbles past me. He catches himself and hesitates to face me, eyes downcast because he knows I'm upset.

"Why did you lie to me?" I ask, crossing my arms. "And don't give me that bullshit that you wanted to protect me."

"How is that bullshit?" Draven counters.

"Because how is lying to me protection?! We both know what the Holy Church is capable of, you apparently even more than me! And now the monarchies too. How is leaving me in the dark protection when any of them could have hurt me? Could have hurt you or even killed you!"

Draven tries to reach for me again. I refuse, adamantly shaking my head. "Don't," I declare, teeth clenched. "That was completely unfair and you know it. If anything had happened, especially to you and Lore, Arline and I would have known nothing. We would have been on our own, capable of taking a guess of what transpired, but never truly knowing how deep this conspiracy goes. That was fucked up, of both of you! Sometimes you just..." I throw my arms wildly in the air, incapable of containing the emotions. Then I point accusingly at the orange-eyed bastard. "I wonder how your brain must feel brand new seeing as you rarely fucking use it, you greasy toerag!"

If Draven is at all insulted, he doesn't show it. Maintaining an apologetic frown, he says, "I'm sorry, Cyan."

"If you knew you'd be sorry for lying to me, then why lie?"

"Because I did want to protect you, not just from them but this life in general. I hated when His Grace involved you with some of our jobs. There was always a risk and always a chance we'd have to harm or kill and I didn't want you to go through that. I didn't trust myself either," he replies, puzzling me.

"What do you mean?"

He hesitates to respond, gaze drifting about the yard before landing on me again. "I'm distracted when you're around, worrying about you rather than focusing on the mission. If I get hurt, you might too. I became increasingly paranoid."

I suppose I can't blame him. I get worried too, wondering if he has rested enough for the next mission. There's always something happening, always something he has to do and I want to help. I want to ease the expectations he mostly set upon himself.

"As sickenly sweet as that sentiment is, this shouldn't have been hidden from Arline and me for so long," I say, tugging on the sleeve of his jacket. His fingers glide across my palm, a now familiar feeling that I'm happy to say doesn't send me into a spiral. Though when he links our fingers, there's always this itch in the back of my mind that I desperately try to ignore.

"I want to help. I should be able to help. You know how I feel about the Holy Church. I went through a lot there. I saw what others went through, and now to learn of what they're doing, what the monarchies are doing, we all need to work together to burn them to the ground," I say.

"I suppose if there is any burning involved, you have the most experience," he teases, making me smile.

"Shut up." I risk taking a step forward to rest my forehead against his chest. He's cool, colder than the early breeze.

"I'm sorry," he repeats.

"I know. I suppose your apology is accepted."

He chuckles. I feel it through his chest, enjoying the soft rumble. He makes no movement to leave there. I retreat, peering up at him to find his lips set into a thin line. Does he have more to say? I'm unsure, so I remain here, waiting.

"Should we win," he says.

"When we win," I correct him.

He nods. "Okay, when we win, I plan to leave the estate for a while."

"What?" I ask, releasing his hand. The air suddenly feels unbearably cold. "Why? Where to?"

"I don't know yet, but I was hoping you would come with me."

I don't know what to say, mouth opening and closing like a kid recently learning how to open and close doors. Draven has never shown signs of disliking the estate, of wanting to leave. Why now?

"I've been thinking about it for a while," he adds. "I've done a lot of work here, work that I'm proud of doing alongside His Grace, but honestly, I do think I need a vacation. Some time away to travel again."

Well, I do agree that he needs time off. I just never imagined he would want to leave to do that. Maybe take a week to lounge about the estate or travel the city, but to leave entirely? Will the estate even run without him? He's the backbone of this place!

"How long would we be gone? What would we even do?" I ask.

"Whatever we want." He takes my hand again, squeezing it. "Travel to the ocean, across the sea, whatever we wish to do. We'll come back when we've rested. I know Lore's doors will always be open to us."

I'm surprised he said Lore. It's always My Lord or His Grace, something to show Draven's extreme respect, though I guess even he admits to himself every now and again that Lore is the man who helped raise us. The one who would make sure we could travel and do whatever we want to do, which does sound quite appealing.

"I think we'll need time once this is all over," Draven finishes, nodding. "A break for the both of us."

"I'd like that," I say, smiling, already eager for something we may not get for a while, though I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

Cyan and Draven have had a talk. When all this is over, he wants to go on a trip. Look at our boys planning a sweet vacation together, how cute! I honestly just wanted a moment for them since they haven't had a lot and shit is starting to go down so I hope you enjoyed them as much as I do. ^_^

 ^_^