53. Unexpected Sleeping Arrangements

Cyan P.O.V.

Lore has us drive or take the train for our assignments; they're harder to track. So the first and only time I rode a first class airship was when Lore adopted me and brought me to Silra from the capital. At the time, I was too terrified to leave my room, suspecting the church would send someone after us to kill me. Lore spent most of his time coddling me, which admittedly worked. I didn't panic to the point of madness, just extreme exhaustion. He carried me around a lot during those travels, kinda like a saggy sack of luggage.

Seren and I gawk at the lounge area of the airship. We stand within a dome of shimmering glass. Beautiful plants and sparkling water fountains cover the area. Seating arrangements made of plump and ghastly designed cushions sit nestled among the lounge. Already, a few Lords, Ladies, and Lieges sit among the splendor laughing and drinking wine brought to them on silver trays.

Draven tugs the sleeve of my shirt to remind me to follow them. We pass through halls with equally as questionable wallpaper. Nobles have an obsession with flower-esque designs. Personally, I think that's very Grandma-esque.

Without my knowledge, Draven has taken my luggage to put in our rooms. I'm too busy observing the surroundings to remember where our rooms are. Now we're heading to have an early lunch under the sky. The engines kick on beneath our feet. My stomach flip flops as we ascend at the same time servers bring our food.

"This is a meal?" Seren asks. For once, I am on the same page as him. We both scowl at the meager salad they brought out.

"No, this is one part of an eight course meal," Lore explains.

"For lunch? By the time we finish, it'll be dinner time," I say, earning a chuckle from Lore.

"Trust the process and enjoy."

Enjoy, I do, because, even if the portions are small, the taste is huge. Draven gives a few warning looks when my silverware clinks against the plate or I drop food on the plate. However, I'm not alone this time. Seren flinches when he almost drops his wine glass. Draven sighs and lowers his head while Lore eats like we aren't even here.

"Lord Seymour, is that you?" a man calls from nearby when we've been served the final part of the meal. Lore peers over his shoulder at a man who approaches him donning a kind smile, but he keeps a fair distance from us. "It's a pleasure to see you again. Last we met was at the Annual Hunt of Rugby, I believe?"

Lore nods. "Indeed it was, Lord Brand. How are the wife and kids?"

"Good, good. Those three have sprouted like weeds! It was nice seeing you." Lord Brand nods, then scurries back to his seat.

"Is it normal for people to waltz up to you for a brief chat in the middle of a meal?" I ask.

"With me, yes," Lore replies nonchalantly. "As you can see, others choose to dine together. They merely want to greet me to save face and run."

"Isn't it more rude to feign pleasantries?" Seren mumbles under his breath. He stiffens when Lore pats his hand.

"Oh, my sweet Seren, are you upset?" Lore teases. "I would be flattered if you got upset in my stead."

Seren swats Lore's hand away. "Not even in your wildest dreams."

I take a glance at Draven, who shrugs. No doubt he thinks the same; Lore's taking his jokes a bit too far. Seren has been acting strange ever since we talked too. He hasn't questioned me further. In fact, he hasn't talked to anyone until today. Even now, he eats quietly with his head down like he hopes no one will notice him. I thought he might approach me, ask a few more questions, but he hasn't. He's taking time to think, to process; I know the feeling.