Twelve

Meredith's POV

"Did you page Dr. Shepherd?" I asked Derek upon entering Edward Levangie's hospital room

"Mr. Levangie, have you given any more thought about the other surgical options we discussed this morning?" Derek asked our patient. Edward Levangie has Parkinson's disease that can progress to dementia if he doesn't do the deep brain stimulation that's available to him.

"What? Why would I? I already told you no. I'm letting you cut into my back, but that's not enough for you. All you guys ever want to do is cut." Mr. Levangie replied.

"Dad, just listen to what he has to say." His daughter, Mary Levangie pleaded with her father.

"Sir, there's a very small window of opportunity here. You know, once the Parkinson's progresses to a point of dementia, there's, you know, you're no longer a candidate for DBS." Derek tells him.

"And when I'm no longer a candidate, is that when you people will leave me the hell alone! What? Do I have to start drooling, and forget my name to get a little peace and quiet?" Mr. Levangie yells, causing Derek to leave.

"Dad, you're being unreasonable. The doctors are only trying to help you." Mary says to her father with tears in her eyes.

"It's my damn life, and it's my damn brain. You want me to let them cut up my brain while I'm lying her awake, for what?" Mr. Levangie says to his daughter.

"It is your life. But it's her life too. And you have a chance to get better here. And all she's asking you to do is try. My mother has early onset Alzheimer's and she's living in a nursing home. I have a daughter who's two and if that happens to me, I want to do everything I could to make sure my daughter doesn't believe that I never exhausted all of my options." Anastasia entered the room and runs over to hug me.

"Anastasia, what are you doing here?"

"Auntie Amy take weally long time to go potty. So me find you Mommy." Anastasia states with a smile on her face.

"Little bear, can you say hi to Mr. Levangie and his daughter Mary?" Anastasia looked over at the father and daughter before breaking out into a smile.

"Hi. Me Anastasia, wat you name?" Anastasia greeted the family.

"My name is Edward but you can call me Teddy and this is my daughter Mary. I would shake your hand but my hands are shaky." Mr. Levangie tells my daughter with a smile on his face.

"Mommy help you Teddy. Mommy best doctow. Mommy tweated me owies and kiss tem bettew." Anastasia tells my patient when I see Amelia outside the room.

"Auntie Amy is here Anastasia. I'll see you later." Anastasia nodded before waving goodbye and leaves the room.

"She's adorable. Where's her father?" Mary asked me.

"He doesn't want her and didn't even sign the birth certificate. My girlfriend stepped up and adopted Anastasia as her own."

"Sorry I asked." Mary apologizes.

"It's fine."

"I'll do the treatment. You and your daughter convinced me. Don't worry Dr. Grey, you don't have to kiss my boo-boos." Mr. Levangie says, causing me to smile at him.

****************

Addison's POV

"So your Mommy and Auntie Amy both tell me that you went on a little adventure." Anastasia looks up at me from her colouring.

"Auntie Amy take a weally long time in potty. So me go find Mommy and me see hew helping Teddy." Anastasia explained to me.

"I didn't take a long time in the bathroom. Little one here's just sneaky." Amelia says before tickling Anastasia, who started to giggle.

"Don't worry button, Auntie Amy does the same thing with me." Amelia grabs a pillow and throws it at me, missing me and hitting the wall.

"No nice to twow tings at peoples Auntie Amy." Anastasia says while wagging her little finger and I started to laugh.

"Not cool to laugh at your baby sister Addie." Amelia teased while Anastasia just went back to her colouring, clearly bored of our 'fighting'. If you can call it that...

"Of course not Amy, but button's very cute when trying to scold someone."

"True." Amelia says before placing a kiss on top of Anastasia's head.