20

20

It was, perhaps, the biggest charity shop he'd seen. Set up more like a usual shop, with wider aisles, baskets to carry items in and two tills, staffed by people in matching sweatshirts with the charity's logo stitched on the chest. It felt a little odd, to Luke. Less friendly. Not quite as warm and welcoming, but the selection of items were larger than anywhere else he had seen, with clear demarcations between the menswear, womenswear, the books and dvd's, and the usual ornaments and pictures. At the back, he could see furniture, too. Sofas and tables and wardrobes.

Helen guided him, straight away, to the shoes, standing behind him, arms wrapped around him, her head resting upon his shoulder. There were too many. All kinds of styles and sizes. Differing heel shapes. Boots and sandals and even the odd pair of slippers. It took his breath away and so did the prices. At least double the prices he had seen in other, smaller shops.

"I want you to find three pairs. Thin heels, stilettos if you can find them, but a little wider heel won't hurt. One low heel, one around three inches tall and then the tallest heels you can find." She leaned down, looking at his feet. "You haven't got monster feet, so it shouldn't be too hard. What size are you?"

"Seven. Sometimes eight." He had already spied one pair that had caught his eye. A suede court shoe with a short, slightly wide heel of around an inch in height. He'd also seen the price. "I can't afford these. Well, I can, but it'll take me over my budget if I buy three pairs."

"Don't worry about the price." Her hand flicked up in front of his face, showing a debit card between her fingers before she whipped it away. "My treat for anything you get in here. Call it an investment. And, please, darling, don't argue. I spend more than anything you'll spend in here on one skirt. Far more. Find the shoes."

Luke opened his mouth to protest, but Helen anticipated it, clamping a manicured finger and thumb on his lips, keeping them closed. After a little pat on the cheek, she stepped back, leaving him staring at all the shoes before him. He still wanted to protest, but he also wanted the shoes. All the shoes. Though he knew he hadn't the space to buy too many. Only a few, for the times he took for himself to dress at home.

Of the shoes in his sizes, he ran his eyes along the rows. The suede ones were already stuck in his mind and, compared to the others, weren't really that expensive. Another pair, patent leather, a deep plum colour with a relatively thin heel of around three inches caught his eye. That left only the tallest heels he could find and his eyes locked upon a pair that were both ridiculous and gorgeous at the same time.

A platform shoe, made from glittering, sharp-edged, almost glass material, the stiletto heel looked as though it could break if he put any weight on them. So thin, like a blade. He doubted the heel would be the only thing to break, either. He feared for the safety of his ankles should he ever attempt to wear those. About to look for something else, Helen had noticed his awestruck gaze and plucked one of the shoes from the shelf.

"I can't wear them! I'll break my neck!" His head whipped around as he realised he had spoken louder than he expected. "There's another pair, right there. Not platforms, pretty tall heel. They'll be fine."

"Rubbish! You want these, I can tell. Take off your shoe." She had crouched giving Luke one of the very few times he had not had to strain his neck to look at her. Her finger hooked toward his foot and Luke hesitated. "Come on. You've got to try it on. Look at them! They're fabulous! Don't you trust me?"

"Not at all." He did. A little. But he also worried why she showed him so much attention. Clarisse had mentioned that Helen saw him as a 'project' and he did feel like one. "I mean ... here?"

"Why not here?" Impatient, she tugged at his trousers, urging him to lift his foot and, hesitating, he did so. Her fingers unfastened his laces with practiced ease. "Right, Cinders, let's see if you're going to the ball."