90

Aurora Walker
June 26th, 2010- Age 12

Today is my birthday.

I woke up this morning and for once, I didn't hear fighting. No one was yelling or arguing. No one was throwing anything in the kitchen...

I didn't expect my mom or dad to care about my birthday, but it did seem to me as though everything I had wished for was coming true when I wasn't being scared awake by a screaming match from my parents.

I know that might seem dumb, but it really was a birthday gift to me.

Slowly I peeked out of my bedroom and saw my parents door across the hall was shut as usual. I carefully stepped out into the hallway, listening for any sounds coming from inside the house. When I didn't hear anything I turned and made my way down the hall, my bare feet softly thudding against the cool tile as I finally made it into the kitchen.

Once I was in the kitchen I finally realized why it was so quiet.

My dad was laying in the middle of the kitchen floor. A broken bottle was laying near him, brown liquid floating around him from the shattered alcohol glass.

I stepped forward slowly, the sound of his snores muffled from the way his face was being smushed into the floor of the kitchen.

I had no idea how long he had been there and it worried me to think that he could have been there all night. In his sleep he could have rolled his head over even just one more inch and he would have drowned in the alcohol that he was laying in.

I carefully stepped over my father and avoided the spilled liquid as I tried to start and clean up the mess that he had made at some point in the nighttime.

I piled the bigger chunks of glass into my hand and threw them away before moving back and crouching down to start picking up the smaller pieces. I dropped one into my hand and reached for another, but the feeling of my father snapping his hand around my wrist had me jumping in fright, my hand tightening in fear.

Pain radiated through my hand and I cried out in agony, my fingers instantly unfolding from my hand to see that a small piece of the shattered glass had embedded itself into the center of my palm.

The crimson colored blood had already started to fill the center of my hand, tears threatening in my eyes as I looked down to the painful injury.

"What..." My father started in a deep drunken slur. "Are you... Doing?"

"I'm just t-trying to help clean." I said in a pained whisper as my eyes stayed locked on my bleeding hand.

My fathers grip loosened on my wrist and as soon as I was free I was pulling hand to my chest and trying to pry the glass from my palm.

"Cut yourself?" He asked as he pulled himself up to sit back on his knees with a distressed grunt.

His head hung low, his hair falling down into his eyes as he painted out for air. It seemed as if the tiny action of him moving was too exerting and he needed to pause for a moment to control his breathing.

"Yes..." I whispered.

"Serves you right for fuckin' around with things that have no concern with you." He spat out bitterly.

"I... I was just trying to help." My lip trembled as he shifted his eyes up to look at me.

"When will you get it through your head..." He reached out and tapped his finger roughly against my temple, "That we don't need your fuckin' help, Aurora. We were fine before you came along. There were no fights. No drinking. We were happy and managing just fine before you." His eyes darkened, his jaw setting firmly. "You ruined this family."

I ruined this family.

Tears won in the long run and suddenly they were soaking my cheeks. I couldn't hold them back anymore no matter how hard I fought against them.

"I'm sorry." I cried out to my father. "I didn't mean to—"

"Well you did anyways, Aurora." My father grunted out as he pushed himself up to stand using the assistance of our sink. "Why are you out here this fuckin' early anyway?" He asked as he pulled back the blinds to look out of the window to see that the sun had only just started to come up.

"It's my... birthday." I said quietly as my tears slowed.

"And?"

My heart shattered more if possible. "I don't know... I jus—"

"You didn't think we were going to throw you a fuckin' party did you?" A bitter laugh came from him. "Have you a fuckin' birthday cake and some gifts? Is that what you wanted?"

I shook my head, "No, that's not what I wanted."

He stifled out another forced laugh. "What a joke you are."

My eyes stayed frozen on the ground. I was sat back on my knees only a few feet away from where my father was now stood.

"Clean this shit up." He ordered, pointing down to the mess on the floor. "And try not to bleed on my floor."

I swallowed back the remainder of my tears and nodded my head, "Yes, sir." I responded with my eyes on the floor as the thumping of his boots echoed through the kitchen.

I stayed frozen in place until I finally heard the sound of his bedroom door opening, then the familiar sound of it slamming shut.

Happy birthday, Aurora.

//

an:
hey guys!!!

it's a short chapter today so... how do we feel about a chapter tomorrow ?? heh

see u then!! <33 (dontyellattmeforitplshaha)

... only 10 chapters left...