Trente-Cinque

WARNINGS: The last part of the chapter contains (mild) violent content and may contain disturbing content. Skip that part in case you feel uncomfortable.

         Dennis looked around before drawing the key to Charles' office from the pocket of his slacks. Sara had given it to him this afternoon, telling him that Charles had a day off, and they would be out for dinner tonight, which gave him the time to sneak into his office and download the data from his laptop.

"Here it is," Sara had said, pressing the key into his hand with a certain concern. There was a frown between her eyebrows as she looked over her shoulders at the stairs as if Charles could come down any second. "Thank you," Dennis muttered, sliding the key into his pocket. He didn't need to ask how she got it. Charles had made it no secret how he kept his wife satisfied in bed the night before, and it had made him blush feverishly when he stood down the stairs. But that's also Charles' way of claiming her, to let the other men, including Dennis, back off. Nobody could deny that Sara was absolutely stunning, and the looks he had given her appearance multiple times probably didn't go unnoticed by his boss. Not that he would ever dare to lay a finger on Sara. He would be crushed before he could make a call to Matteo Abril.

It was quiet in the large mansion, Charles and Sara left for their dinner date twenty minutes ago. Dennis nearly held his breath as he put the key in the lock, twisting it and opening the door. He slipped inside, closing the door silently behind him. It felt extremely weird to do this, to be here in the office of his boss. It was forbidden for him to be here. Dennis felt his heart pounding against his rib cage. He wasn't scared quickly, but the thought of the merciless rules Charles had for traitors, made him predict his own death already. Dennis took a deep breath, quietly making the steps to Charles' desk. His laptop was still laying on the desk. Dennis sat down behind it, the chair feeling as if it didn't want him in there. He swallowed hard as he opened the laptop, starting up the device. The MacBook lit up, and he needed a password to enter it. Fuck, of course. Dennis drew the device from his pocket, the software of it was made to hack passwords and gain entrance to any type of locked data. Dennis' knee bumped up and down.

He didn't want to be in his office any longer than necessary. The seconds the device took to crack the password of Charles' laptop were already a couple of seconds too much. Dennis got in, and he quickly searched around the files. It didn't take him much time to find the files he was looking for. He tapped his fingers against the desk while everything was downloading. He held his breath again as he heard footsteps in the hallway. Dennis checked if they were stopping at the door, but they weren't. They just walked past. He quickly withdrew the device as soon as it had downloaded everything. He shut the laptop down the way he had found it and got up from behind the desk. The office of his boss creeped him out, especially now he could definitely be labeled as a traitor. But Charles didn't know anything, and he might never know, depending on whatever Matteo Abril was going to do to him. Dennis slipped out of the office, locking the door behind him.

He moved back to his post as if he had never wandered away from it. His heart was still hammering in his chest. The fear that raged through his veins made him wonder why the hell he was doing this. Partly, because he wanted to help Sara, and partly, because Matteo Abril held a great leverage over him. The Spaniard knew everything about his family in Norway, and as long as Dennis could protect them, he would go above and beyond. He was being played, he knew that, but there was nothing he could do about it. If he was lucky, Sara would be on his side of it all.

"I think I'm going to scare him a little," Charles muttered when he drove his Ferrari onto the driveway after the gates opened. "The poor boy," Sara mused, her hand placed over his hand on her thigh. "Not too much, just for a little bit of fun," Charles continued, causing her to scoff. Sara opened the door to get out of the car, finding Charles waiting for her as he got out too. His arm wrapped around her waist when they walked up to the door. It was opened for them, too. "Welcome back," Dennis greeted them, his eyes resting on Sara, but glancing over at Charles. "Thank you," Charles said, taking Sara's coat from her. "How was the night, quiet?" He asked, and Sara looked between her husband and the guard, who was visibly tensing under Charles' eyes. Good. "Yes, the usual," Dennis replied, his hands folded behind his back as he stood on his post. "Do you want to head upstairs?" Sara asked. "I think so, yes, mon coeur," Charles spoke, patting his pockets next. "I think I lost my key, baby, have you seen it anywhere?" he asked as he stood in front of the doors of his office.