Cinq

Charles pushed his foot on the brake pedal and turned off the engine. The silence filled the car, and he took a deep breath, leaning his head against the leather headrest of his Ferrari. He had been in Milan today for some business appointments and meetings, and he just came back. It was past dinner time, but he was sure the kitchen staff could make him a quick meal. Charles collected his case and finally got out of the car. The lights flickered when he turned it off, the gates were already closed behind him, and the front door was opened when the guards saw him approaching. "Good evening, Mr. Leclerc." They greeted him, to which he curtly nodded before entering the mansion. A week had gone by since Sara moved in with him, but honestly, they had barely spoken. And when they did, it was either of them making a snarky remark about invading personal space or ruining the mood. Two weeks to go to the wedding ceremony, and it was time they at least started to know each other a little. Just a little.

His mother was bothering him about whom they wanted to invite to the wedding, what the ideal location of the wedding would be, that he had an appointment at Armani for suit measuring, as if he wasn't busy at all. So much to arrange, so little time. And the fact that he kept postponing it all. Sara didn't seem to be busy with it either, she was either in her room or outside in the garden, which he learned as Lando updated him sometimes. She had a dress shopping appointment yesterday, and Lando apparently accompanied her. Charles assigned him as her guard after all. Charles dropped his suitcase in his office, and shook the jacket of his suit around the backrest of the chair, briefly smoothing out the material before unbuttoning the upper buttons of his shirt. He opened the door of his office, and Sara was just walking by. A satin robe was draped over her figure, but underneath she was wearing a bikini. Charles' eyebrows rose at her appearance, and he felt like he should look away, but he didn't.

"Staring is rude, Leclerc," Sara's voice made him look up at her. "Whatever," he replied. "Where have you been?" Charles asked next, his eyes on her face. "What does it look like," she stated. "I was trying to show interest," he said. "Well, don't. Thanks." Sara was about to continue her way upstairs when Gisele, the maid, appeared. "Dinner is ready for the two of you," she said sweetly. "The two of us?" Charles asked gently. "Yes," she nodded in confirmation. Sara and Charles exchanged a glare, and Gisele seemed to notice the tension. "If it is not okay, I can-..." "No, it's fine," Charles shushed her, he was never rude to his staff and he didn't want them to do any extra efforts because he and Sara couldn't sit at the same table for a simple meal. "Thanks, Gisele," Charles gave her a small smile. Gisele hurried back to the kitchen. "Get dressed," he told Sara, walking away before she could reply. "GeT DreSsEd," Sara mocked while walking up the stairs. She went into her room and slipped into a simple top and some joggers before heading back downstairs again.

Charles was already seated at the dining table, and she hesitantly moved across the table to sit where her plate was put down. It was awfully quiet next, and Sara pricked her fork in some vegetables while peaking up at Charles. "Where have you been today?" she spoke up, her question surprising him. Charles looked up at her, his eyes lingering on her face for a couple of seconds. "Milan," he started. "I had some meetings and appointments there," he continued. Sara nodded slowly. "By car?" she asked after some minutes, which caused him to look at her a little questionably. "I heard you leaving this morning," she explained. Charles nodded now as well. "Yeah, I drove there," he said. "Don't you have a jet?" Sara asked next. This has to be the most words they have said to each other ever since she arrived. "I do. But driving clears my head," Charles said. Sara looked down at her plate, shoving a couple of potato slices around. "You drive Ferrari's, right?" Charles' eyes narrowed a little, not sure where all of it was coming from. He let out a soft sigh, relaxing his tensed posture a bit.

"Yes," he confirmed. It was quiet again next. Everything about the conversation was awkward, uneasy, nevertheless, it made him chuckle a little, which caused her to look at him again. She wasn't sure if his lips curled up with irritation when he leaned back against his seat. "We can go for a drive sometime," he suggested. Sara let her eyes glide over his posture, not giving much of a response. They locked eyes again when Charles reached out for his glass of wine. "We're having lunch with a partner of mine tomorrow," he decided to drop it now they were actually talking. He saw the brief irritation reflecting in her eyes, and her lips parted to speak up, but she swallowed her words and rethought whatever she wanted to say. "Alright," Sara choked out. "You will meet his girlfriend then. I hope you get along," Charles added. Sara let out a huff of air, yet she didn't say anything. Charles was done with his dinner and stood up from his seat. "Goodnight," he muttered, and left the dining room. "Goodnight," she replied, looking at him as he walked away.