Trente-Deux

"Something or someone bothered her last night," Charles spoke up, sitting back in his lounger on the yacht. He and Carlos sat next to each other, looking at their girlfriends who were seated on the sundeck, chatting and catching up. "What makes you think so?" Carlos replied, reaching for his bottle of Estrella Galicia and taking a sip of beer. "She was crying over something, but she said it wasn't important, and she didn't want to talk about it. This morning she dodged the subject," Charles followed up. "Maybe she needs some time," Carlos suggested. "She'll tell you if you give it some time," he added. "I know, but this time it feels different," Charles explained. "I think it's her father." Carlos chuckled, placing his beer bottle back on the table. "The asshole didn't become more clever over the years," Carlos commented, causing Charles to let out a breathy laugh. "Did the party give you any more clarity about your father?" The Spaniard asked, but Charles shook his head. "Nothing. Her mother kept me busy as soon as I arrived. Sara's father called her in. After that, I only spoke to useless drunk people," Charles said.

"Right, the usual," Carlos commented. "Fernando's source didn't reach out to me anymore, he told me he'd text me today, but didn't receive anything yet," Charles replied. "They probably don't want anything to do with it. I mean, the Abril name is enough to scare some people in our world, Charles. The bastard has quite some leverage on some people," he says, causing Charles to nod with a sigh. His eyebrows rose slightly as he looked over the calm sea. The yacht was gently swaying back and forth in the water. The temperatures were nice for January, but Charles preferred summer to anything. He was still dressed in a sweater and some jeans while seated on the yacht. He looked back at his partner, and he saw the corners of his mouth slowly going up as his soon-to-be wife appeared on the stairs, walking down to them seated at the table. Charles glanced at Isa's hand, the ring Carlos was talking about wasn't visible yet, showing that he hadn't popped the question yet. Sara showed up too, a small smile on her face as she made her way over to Charles. They put their empty wine glasses on the table, causing Carlos to raise an eyebrow when he looked up at his girlfriend.

"Yes, I know, we normally have staff for that, but now you have to do it yourself, ms," Carlos said, meaning if she wanted a refill. He poked her side, causing Isa to laugh. "If you get some wine, I'll get some snacks," Isa said, kissing his cheek when she leaned over. Sara chuckled at the pair, moving to sit in Charles' lap. His arm automatically curled around her, patting her hip when she sat down and swung her arm around his neck. "You look pretty, my love," Charles muttered as he pecked her lips. "Thank you, mi vida," Sara replied, her hand briefly moving through his hair. Charles meant it, her face was free of any makeup, her hair was loose down her shoulders. Her freckles were visible, and her features just looked beautiful to him. Isa soon returned with a plate of snacks and some chips in a bowl, Carlos following her with two glasses of wine and two more beers. Sara took one of the glasses of wine, taking a sip from it before putting it down on the table. Charles' fingers drew soft circles on her thigh, keeping her to his chest as they resumed the conversation about the event the two men would attend. It would be in Milan, and the girls would join too, but only to go shopping.

Sara reached for a piece of melon, ignoring Charles' eyes on her. He had been watching her ever since last night and this morning, but she decided not to pay attention to it. Not while she still didn't have her mind straight. It had taken her everything to not tell Isa about it, because she knew she would discuss it with Carlos and then Charles would know everything about the situation with her father too. It was too risky, especially now she wasn't sure who else besides her father's crew and Charles' father and his crew were involved. Letting it rest seemed to be a good thing for now. Her father wouldn't be out for Charles as long as Charles wasn't looking for evidence that Matteo Abril killed Hervé Leclerc. "Sara?" Sara looked up again, a sheepish smile on her face. "Sorry, I zoned out for a second," she let out a breathy laugh. "She was already picking her next designer bag in her imaginations," Carlos teased, pushing Charles' shoulder, who chuckled too. "Whatever makes her happy," Charles replied, and Sara smiled, squeezing his shoulder softly. "I was saying that we could book a spa appointment there, I know a very good salon," Isa said, making her nod.