Vingt-Six

"I love that we go into the new year together tonight," Isa spoke as the two girls walked next to each other on the beach. They just a had lunch at a gorgeous viewing point on one of the islands, and they were staying at the beach for a little while. "Same, I'm looking forward to seeing the fireworks from the yacht," Sara replied, stepping through the water. "Charles told me he loved me, last night," she started. "He did?" Isa squealed. "That's so sweet," she cooed. "Did you say it back?" she asked, hooking her arm in Sara's. "I did," Sara smiled. "I never expected I would say those words to him when we got married," she said. "Probably everything you did together after the ceremony was unexpected. But I believe it was all a sign of the universe," Isa said. Sara laughed at her response. "Really?" Isa nodded. "You can't tell me you two ended up together just because your marriage was planned. If fate didn't want it to work out, you would have gotten away from each other already," Isa explained. "Everything happens for a reason," she added. Sara just chuckled, she figured her friend was right.

They strolled back to their men, who were seated on their towels under some parasols. The crew from the yacht had given them a cooler with some drinks and snacks, and they could call the chief stewardess for them to be picked up with the tender anytime. Sara got to her knees on the towel next to Charles, her hand cupping his face, and she leaned down to kiss his cheek. "Did you apply sunscreen, baby?" Sara asked, looking at Charles. There was a cap pushed backwards over his hair, a necklace comfortably resting around his neck. "I did," he replied. "Hmm, I'm sure it was two hours ago already," she said, reaching for the spf spray in her bag. "It's just an excuse to get my hands on you again," Sara muttered in his ear, making him laugh. Carlos was incredibly tanned already, but even the lines of his swimming trunks were visible, showing the deeper tan he had gotten the past few days. Sara sprayed the spf on Charles' back, spreading out the liquid with her hands. She made sure to get his shoulders, too, so he wouldn't get sunburned again. The redness from yesterday had faded away already.

Charles pulled on her hands to have her arms around her, making her chuckle. Sara leaned her head on his shoulders while wrapping her limbs around him from behind. Charles sunk further down, resting his head on her stomach. She roamed her hands over his chest and shoulders, her nails drawing soft patterns on his skin. He sighed contently, briefly closing his eyes when the sea breeze moved over the beach. "What are you guys up to after this holiday?" Isa said. "I'm working," Charles shrugged. "I'm the trophy wife," Sara added, causing the other couple to laugh. "We have a meeting with a Mexican partner in Milan," Carlos said. "So, work," Charles summarized with a chuckle. "And we have the penthouse hunt," Sara said, one of her hands moving through his hair. "Oh, right, we do," Charles chimed in. "We'll invite you to the housewarming," Sara said. "You better," Isa playfully replied. "We have a quiet period in Madrid. Maybe we go to Mallorca again to spend some time with my family," Carlos said, reaching for the football he had in his bag.

"Get up, mate," Carlos stood up and reached his hand out for Charles. "Alright," he replied, taking his hand to be pulled up. "We'll be out here," Charles told Sara, leaning down to peck her lips before he followed Carlos. Charles and Carlos walked a little further onto the beach, so they could also talk a little together without their girls hearing every word they said. Carlos kicked the ball up a bit before kicking it towards Charles. "I think I want to ask her to marry me," Carlos spoke in Italian. "Davvero?" [Really?] Charles smiled. "That's wonderful," he added. "Ever since Sara and I got married, I keep asking myself what it's like to plan a proposal and to really ask someone such a thing," Charles said. "It's an amazing feeling, mate," Carlos replied, walking towards the water as the ball rolled over there. "But you and Sara worked out eventually. You can always plan a second proposal to do it your style," Carlos said. "Maybe," Charles said. "When do you want to propose to Isa?" Charles asked, kicking the ball back. "I don't know yet. I want to make it special, we've been together for a long time," the Spaniard explained.