when he reacts to your performance

Requested by: klarifyy

"Oh my god, Kai, I'm going to be the next idol performing as the artist of the month for Studio Choom! I still can't process the news-" Y/N squealed, her eyes wide with excitement. She had just gotten the news of Studio Choom's invitation a few hours ago from her agency and immediately went to her boyfriend's dorm to tell him the news after their schedules ended. 

Kai was sharing her enthusiasm as he wrapped his arms around her tightly before pressing a chaste kiss on her forehead, making her heart flutter. "I can't wait to see your performance," he said, smiling down at her and she snuggled her head deeper into the crook of his neck. "I'm having my first dance practice for my artist of the month on Thursday, will you be free then? I'd want you to be the first one to see the dance," Y/N asked in a hopeful voice. "I have vocal lessons in the morning, but I think I'm free for the rest of the day..." Kai said, checking his weekly schedule. "Yep, I'm free!" He confirmed, pinching Y/N's nose lightly and making her giggle. 

"One, two, three, four..." The choreographer counted as Y/N tried her best to follow the seemingly endless routine time and again, sweat trickling down her forehead. The choreography was challenging to say the least and her choreographer had asked Y/N if she was able to execute everything she had choreographed Y/N had insisted that she could do it because she wanted to portray the best image of herself in front of fans. She was the main dancer of the group and had a name to live up to, the dance performance had to be challenging to prove her dance abilities.

"Y/N, you're missing the count again, we're not making progress at this rate," The choreographer said, glancing at Y/N. Y/N's face fell as she apologised. "I'm sorry Unnie, I'll try harder." "I think we should take a break, you can take the time to internalise the moves." Y/N nodded and thanked her once more before lying down on the floor, still struggling to catch her breath. Kai, who was watching silently from the side of the room, quickly went up to Y/N and sat beside her, handing her a bottle of water and a towel. "You did well Y/N, come here," Kai said as Y/N threw herself into his arms, thoroughly exhausted. Kai brushed a strand of stray hair from Y/N's face before pressing a firm kiss on her forehead. "Do you want me to get you anything from the convenience store? You haven't eaten since breakfast and it's already five," He asked, checking the time on the wall clock. Y/N shook her head as she struggled to get up. "I have to get the dance right, like you heard the choreographer say, I'm not making any progress. I'm starting to think I'm not cut out to be the next artist of the month." Y/N's voice cracked with emotion when she muttered the last bit.

"Hey, what do you mean? You're one of the best dancers I know. You're already trying your best and I can see that." Kai stood up too, before wrapping his arms around Y/N, rubbing comforting circles on her back. Y/N took a deep breath before exhaling, closing her eyes as she let herself relax into his hug. The two stayed like this in the middle of the practice room for a while before the break was over and Y/N began practising again, but with a newfound determination.

"That's all for today, we'll learn the next few parts tomorrow," Y/N's choreographer concluded, and Y/N bowed with thanks before she and Kai headed to her company's cafeteria to grab some food. The cafeteria was relatively empty as they sat down, munching on sandwiches. "I'm filming the video two weeks later, I was thinking of asking you to go watch the shooting but..." Y/N trailed off and Kai looked up. "But..?" "But I want it to be a surprise so I'm not going to ask you to come to the shooting," Y/N said, a mischievious glint in her eyes. "You're not going to let your dearest boyfriend watch you shoot your dance video?" Kai asked, giving his puppy eyes and making Y/N coo at his adorableness. "I want it to be a surprise, you'll just have to wait like the others," Y/N replied, booping Kai's nose gently. 

It was finally the day of the release of Y/N's Artist of the month and both of them were in Y/N's bedroom, camping in front of Kai's laptop, reloading the page over and over again as they waited anxiously for the video to be posted. At exactly 12 am KST, the video appeared and Kai immediately clicked on it, giving a small shriek of excitement. Both of them waited in anticipation for the video to start playing and as soon as it started to play, both of them fell silent, watching Y/N execute her complicated routine. Y/N's eyes shifted repeatedly from the screen to her boyfriend's face while they were watching the video, trying to see his reaction. 

"So...how was it?" Y/N asked after the video had ended, nervous for Kai's reaction. Kai didn't say anything for a moment and Y/N felt her heart beating faster with every passing second. "Kai...?" "IT WAS SO GOOD OH MY GOD, THAT'S MY GIRLFRIEND Y'ALL!" Kai suddenly exploded, hugging Y/N tightly as she giggled. "Kai...you're going to wake my neighbours up at this rate," Y/N said, feeling shy at her boyfriend's reaction, hugging him back. "You worked so hard for this, I'm so glad it turned out well," Kai said softly, brushing Y/N's hair away from her face and giving her yet another kiss on the forehead.

Y/N felt her eyes stinging with grateful tears as she burrowed her head into his chest. "What's wrong?" Kai asked, rubbing her shoulder comfortingly, causing her to tear up even more. "I'm so grateful for you dummy, thank you for always being so supportive of me, I love you," Y/N mumbled and Kai's heart melted. "I love you more," He whispered softly and Y/N knew he was definitely the one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: feeling so single istg