"i like you" part 1

Requested by: haikyuu2212 

Glancing at the watch on my wrist, I looked around for the chestnut-haired boy, feeling my heartbeat quicken by the second. Trying to distract myself, I studied the green moss growing on the concrete wall of the school garden and didn't even realise that the boy was behind me.

"Y/n?" Beomgyu's low raspy voice sent chills down my spine as he tapped my shoulder. I turned around to face him and managed what I hope was more of a smile than a grimace.

"Um...so, why did you ask to meet me here instead of enjoying the graduation party indoors? Anything you want to tell me?" He asked, looking confused.

Oh god, I can't believe I'm doing this... I took a deep breath before looking him in the eye.

"Beomgyu, I know we've been best friends for a long time and it's weird for me to even get the words out of my mouth, but... I like you." I said all that in one breath, feeling the weight lift off my shoulders instantly.

That was it.

My heart dropped as Beomgyu raked his hands through his hair, looking utterly shocked and confused. "Y/n, I-"

"You don't have to say anything, if you want to reject me, just say it now." I smiled weakly, pinching myself hard to put on a nonchalant expression and to refrain from being emotional no matter what he said. I was prepared to be rejected anyways from the moment I decided to confess.

"Y/n, I- I like someone else. I'm sorry but I only see you as a sister, nothing more than that. If I gave you the wrong impression, I'm sorry." His eyes cast down, avoiding mine.

"It's Hyejin isn't it?" I asked, my voice shaky. He nodded slightly and looked as if he was about to apologise again.

"Save it. If it's Hyejin, I just want to warn you that she's not going to be serious about you. She's a playgirl." I muttered. Beomgyu had a crush on Hyejin for a long time and always tried to help her, and do things for her and of course, Hyejin was secretly happy to have someone doing all the work. When they worked on a pair project together, Beomgyu was the one researching and doing everything and where was Hyejin? She was going out with guys and leaving Beomgyu to do all the work as she knew he was smitten with her and would do whatever she told him to. When their project won first place in class, she even claimed credit for "doing her best" and "staying up late to research" and boy was I mad. But Beomgyu being Beomgyu, had let her take the credit, too infatuated to go against her.

"Don't say that about Hyejin." Beomgyu glared, a sign that he was ticked off. But I didn't care and continued. "Why can't I say that, it's true. She doesn't date people seriously, she plays with them and leads them on only to cheat on them with another guy. I just don't want you to get hurt."

"Hyejin is nice to me and is kind, gentle and smart. I don't know what you are talking about." Beomgyu raised his voice slightly, anger evident. My blood boiled as I clenched my fist. "I've seen it happen to other guys. If you weren't foolishly blind because of love for her," I spat, "You would've noticed it. Why do you think she is seen with a different guy every few weeks at the mall?"

"Stop making her sound like a horrible person, she isn't." Beomgyu insisted and I huffed. "Fine, I already warned you, if you end up hurt, don't come looking for me." Turning on my heels, I walked off, leaving Beomgyu standing there and me trying to keep my emotions in check. We had never fought before and it made me feel bad but I couldn't just stand there and watch Beomgyu being used and played by Hyejin.

For the rest of the time spent in high school, he avoided me and spent more time with Hyejin, until we parted ways to go to university.

2 years later

"Y/n, what are you looking at? You seem a little down since just now." My roommate, Jiwon, asked as she sat cross-legged on her bed, looking curiously at me.

"Hm? It's nothing much, just a message from my ex-classmates in high school asking if anyone was free for a class reunion next week." I replied, setting my lips into a grim line.

"High school? Is Beomgyu going?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I posted this on my instagram too, my user is in my bio so do check it out!