not so secret

Y/N couldn't help but smile when she heard the sound of the doorbell ringing. He was here. As she opened her room door quietly and tiptoed down the flight of stairs, she stopped halfway and looked up, their eyes meeting instantly. He gave a small wink, his eyes sparkling when he saw her and she winked back, feeling as if her heart would combust right there and then. In her line of sight, her brother appeared and she disappeared back into her room just as quickly, hearing the two boys greet each other when her door shut with a click.

The reason they were acting so sneakily was because Kang Taehyun, Y/N's boyfriend, was her brother's best friend and knowing how protective Choi Beomgyu was of his younger sister, even with his best friend, the two naturally decided to keep their relationship hushed.

Y/N couldn't remember exactly when she had developed a crush on her brother's best friend, but there were specific memories that couldn't stop replaying in her mind, and those memories would never fail to make her giddy in the best way possible.

Maybe it was the time where she was learning how to ride a bike for the first time at nine years old and had fallen down and scraped her knee, only to find a hand in front of her, ready for her to grab onto it. Taehyun had immediately rushed to the younger girl's side, making sure that she was safe and free from any major injuries, even buying her an ice cream to comfort her after that painful fall. It was a vanilla cone, Y/N remembered clearly, and her favourite ice cream flavour had remained as that almost a decade later.

Maybe it was the time she was feeling down due to her results at school and he didn't hesitate in offering to tutor her without asking for anything in return. But before offering a solution, he had spent the afternoon sitting with her out on the front porch, listening patiently to her troubles and comforting her even though he probably had more important things to attend to.

Maybe it was the time she had no one to go to prom with and was too embarrassed to ask anyone out and after he got to know about that, he specially went to her class, with a bouquet of fresh flowers in hand, to ask her to prom. To say that her female classmates were jealous was an understatement as they couldn't help swooning over the good-looking senior and envied Y/N greatly. Though back then, Y/N had no idea why he did that, so many girls would've wanted to go to prom with him, he quite literally had a whole sea of girls to pick from, yet he singled her out. She was just merely his best friend's younger sister, he didn't need to ask her to prom to protect her fragile self esteem, yet he found himself walking towards her classroom, heart beating nervously, because he knew he wanted to do it.

For all Y/N knew, Kang Taehyun was the first person who made her heart flutter like that, who made her feel cared for by someone other than her family and she could only hope he felt the same. However, it wasn't until the day she graduated, did she get confirmation that he felt the same.

Y/N remembered clearly how she had spotted her brother immediately in the mass of people who had gone to attend the graduation ceremony due to his tall height, and couldn't help noticing her brother's best friend standing right beside Beomgyu, looking right at her. They locked eyes and for a moment, Y/N forgot how to breathe. Kang Taehyun had no reason to be at her graduation ceremony, yet he was standing there in the flesh, offering her a small smile.

As the pair approached Y/N, her eyes couldn't seem to tear away from Taehyun's gaze, hopelessly enraptured by him. Y/N couldn't remember where her brother was and could only guess he went to the washroom as she could only recall her and Taehyun being alone in the ceremony hall. Despite being surrounded by the mass of people, at that moment, it felt as if the two of them were the only ones in the room, enclosed in their own bubble.

"Hey," Taehyun whispered, breaking the silence.

"Hey yourself," Y/N whispered back and they grinned.