thunderstorm

Glancing at the round gold-framed white clock hanging on the wall, you furrowed your brows in worry and picked up your phone to text your boyfriend again. It was getting late and he was still not home and dark clouds were starting to gather by the minute. It was probably a thunderstorm, making it harder for him to come back home with the ongoing traffic you could see outside your window. 

Y/N:

are you on the way back? it's going to rain soon, hurry back before it gets slippery on the road. 

 ✓

A clap of thunder startled you from your thoughts as the rain began to fall, hitting the windowsill erratically. You shuddered, pulling up the blanket that hung around your shoulder tighter and taking a sip of the hot chamomile tea sitting on the side table beside the couch you were sitting on. The rain was starting to get heavier and heavier and your worries grew with every second that passed. It was so loud you couldn't even hear your thoughts anymore. The message still hadn't been delivered to his phone and when you tried to call him, he didn't pick up and it went to voicemail. Where on earth was he?

Thinking it would help reduce the worries you felt, you switched on the television, hoping for a distraction. The moment you switched on the television, the news channel was showing and your blood went cold at what you saw. "Car accident on ____ highway due to slippery road. Both drivers were casualties of the accident, one driving a black Toyota and the other driving a white Hyundai..." The voice on the television droned on as you sat there, stricken with fear. Yeonjun drove a white Hyundai and to get home from his workplace, he always had to drive on ____ highway. It can't be him.

Your heart was hammering as you tried to convince yourself to be positive, and that everything would be alright. Just as you were about to lose hope, there was the sound of the key unlocking the door. You held your breath as you took tentative steps towards the door. "I'm home," Yeonjun announced, standing at the door, his hair drenched with rainwater as he attempted to smooth it out, dripping water on the floor in the process. You immediately rushed forward to wrap your arms around him, not even caring that he was perpetually soaked in rain. He hugged back tightly, still slightly confused about your reaction. "I'm so glad you're home." You mumbled, still hugging him as if your life depended on it. "Hey, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Did anything bad happen?" He asked, caressing your hair gently and looking concerned as he brushed his thumb across your cheek, wiping away tears you didn't even know had escaped from your eyes.

He led you inside the house, wrapping the blanket around you and handing you your drink before removing his soaked jacket, putting it to wash, and sitting down beside you, ready to listen to your worries. "I saw the news... of the car accident... on the highway you always take... and... and I was so worried you were the one who got into the accident... I thought I would never see you ever again..." You managed to say those words out in between tears as he put his arm around your shaking shoulders, patting your back comfortingly. "It's all right, I'm here, aren't I? My phone ran out of battery in the afternoon and I wasn't able to charge it so I didn't read your message. Sorry for making you worry, I won't leave you, okay?" He said gently, putting your head on his shoulder. "It's all right now." Your tears gradually stopped as his comforting voice, along with his gentle gestures, calmed you down, making all your previous worries disappear.

"Come on, I bought your favourite cakes, wash up and you can have them," Yeonjun said, rubbing his thumb over your hand, your fingers interlocked with his. You nodded and went to wash up before joining him in the living room. He watched, smiling as you opened the cake box to find different slices of cake inside. "I thought you would like to try different flavours along with your favourite cakes but I couldn't decide so I chose a few." Pushing the box towards you, he waited for your reaction as you put a piece of light green cake into your mouth. The distinct pistachio flavour and rose exploded in your mouth as your eyes lit up. "Is it nice?" "Mmhm, you should try some too," You said, feeding him some and his face mirrored the expression of bliss you had on your face. The two of you continued chatting happily and eating cake, feeling ever so lucky to have met each other.

〔🌧️〕

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I love how my updates are so irregular (╥_╥) I'm sorry to those who waited so long for one chapter (ಠ⌣ಠ)