Chapter 74

i need to stop writing these at like 3 AM

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
Y/n's P.O.V.
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

Sitting in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, I read over my notes in my textbook for said class, 'The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection', boredly. I can feel Harry staring at me from behind. It's quite annoying. He has made his intentions clear. He wants to pursue that Ravenclaw girl and forget about me. So why is he making it so much harder for himself and for me? I huff and get scared shitless when Moody drops a textbook onto Neville's desk.

Moody begins his introduction, "I see you all slogged down to Flourish and Blotts like good little boys and girls and bought the textbook. Congratulations...it'll make a fine doorstop. I'm Alastor Moody, ex-Auror, Ministry of Malcontent, and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

Moody's blue eyes scan the silent classroom, land on Harry, and hold his eyes. He then turns and takes out his flask. Drinking in front of students. Such a good example for young, impressionable teens.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a more practical approach. You may wonder what I mean by that. I'll show you. But first, which if you can tell me...how many Unforgivable Curses there are?" Moody asks, taking a swig of his flask and snatches up a jar with a spider scuttling around in it.

Everyone trades uneasy glances. A beat later, Hermione shoots her hand up, while I on the other hand calmly raise mine, not looking as eager as Hermione to answer. As Moody's real eye stares at the spider, his blue eye rotates to look at Hermione, sparing me a quick glance. Ultimately ignoring me. I sigh annoyed, and drop my arm.

Moody urges her on, "I might've known. Go on, Granger."

"There are three, sir- How did you know..." Hermione questions him on knowing her name already.

Moody calmly tells Hermione, "Your name? I know a bit more than that. You're top of your class- correct?"

"...No, sir. Well technically yes. But my place is shared with Y/n Merlin. We both have the highest grades in our year." Hermione states, looking over at me with a proud smile.

I return her smile and straighten up more, happy that she would give me credit as well.

Moody's face turns sour, but he continues, "Yes...well naturally inquisitive?"

"Yes..." Hermione answers.

Moody asks her, "Socially inept?"

"Well..." Hermione begins to protest.

Moody cuts her off and questions, "And...Muggle born."

Moody's eye whirls and then stops, raking over the rest of the students.

"I'm not about to walk into a room full of strangers without doing background. Constant vigilance!" Moody exclaims.

Moody jabs his staff into the floor, right in front of Harry. As the class jumps, Moody studies Harry's scar.

Moody looks at Harry and warns him, "The Devil likes disguises. Never forget that."

Hah, that's pointless to tell us. We already learned that with Professor Quirrell in our first year at Hogwarts.

Moody moves on after a few seconds and inquires Hermione, "Again, Granger. How many Curses?"

"Three." Hermione responds quickly.