It Has To Be Done

Should I go inside? Should I trust him? I guess it doesn't hurt, he did just save me from Altair. I follow him through the door and into the house. Once inside, relief floods my body, again, as I find something that I never thought I would ever see again. "Lou! She's safe and alive! Where did you find her?" I ask hugging the little girl's neck.

                       The house is small but beautifully decorated. The walls, floor, and ceiling are made from hand-cut cedar planks. There are carvings etched into the walls, trees, flowers, and a variety of animals. It's hard to describe but the whole house feels happy. The scent of fried chicken fills the air and makes my mouth water.

                         The man laughs before answering my question. "I didn't exactly find her. I saw you two out by the crates, earlier. I started to run you off, thinking you were a thief, but something told me to just listen. And when I did, I heard everything the two of you said to each other. I wasn't exactly sure who you were hiding from but from what you said about the 'scary men', I figured you guys were hiding from Altair's men. And then I remembered hearing them mention a missing woman and child, so I figured I had better go rescue the little girl before Altair's men came to collect the food."

                      "Well, thank you very much. His plan for her was not going to be good." I say.

                      "The ninjas didn't find me. So, I win the game, right?" Lou asks, looking up at me.

                       "Almost. Remember we are heading to Mimi's house. If we can get there without the ninjas finding us, we will be safe." I say to her.

                     The man squats down to Lou's level and says, "I have an idea. Why don't you go see my wife, she's in the kitchen, and ask her for some cookies and milk."

                   "That sounds really yummy! Can I Aunty Rain?" she pleads.

                    I hesitate a moment but if he wanted to hurt either one of us, he would have run us off and let Altair find us. "All right. Go ahead." I smile and ruffle her hair just like her dad used to do. Tears form in my eyes at the thought of my brother, and I brush them away.

                "Yay! Cookies!" Lou shouts, running into another part of the house.

                  As soon as she is gone, the man speaks up again. "How did you get tangled up with the likes of Altair?"

                 "My brother wanted the safety of the militia. He thought it would be the best place to raise his daughter. Her mom died when she was a baby. Raiders attacked the city and she was one of the casualties. He just wanted what was best for his only child. Once we got there, Altair threatened to kill my brother and niece if I didn't marry him."

               "Why would he want to marry you? Did you or your brother know him, before you got to that town?" he asks.

                  "No. I have no idea why he wanted to marry me. I asked him one time and he just evaded my question."

                  "Hm." The man grunts.

                "Once my brother died, I decided to get Lou and run away. I have to get her somewhere where he can't find her. And I figured her grandmother's house is the perfect place. No one knows who Lou's mom was except me and Wolfe. She will be safe there. She's still young and doesn't live in any of the cities."

               "Linda's house? The old house just outside of town?" the man asks.

                  "Yes," I say.

                    "I'll make sure the guards keep an eye on them. Keep them safe from Altair."

                  "Thank you."

                  "And what of you? Altair doesn't seem to be the type to just give up hunting for something he wants. And he wants you."

                  "I'm going to keep traveling to the next town and then let him find me there."

                   "Are you sure that's wise? I don't think anything good is waiting for you with him."

                     My vision blurs as tears form, again. I look away and blink a few times before turning back. "Lou's grandmother will raise her. She will be safe. That's all that I care about."

                     "You are sacrificing yourself to keep her alive?"

                   "What other choice do I have? She's young, she will miss me for a while, and then she will be fine."

                  "What if he kills you?"

                    "That's a possibility but if she is safe...."

                    He's quiet a moment before saying, "Why don't you sit down and eat dinner with us before you leave."

                     "No. I appreciate it, but I don't want to put you out."

                          "It's not putting us out. My wife loves to cook, and it will make for a nice memory for the little girl to look back on, in the future."

                     "Well, I am hungry," I say.

                       He laughs and then calls out, "Honey, make some extra chicken, the girls are going to eat with us before they leave."

                     "I already cooked extra. At this point, they better stay and help us eat it!" a female voice calls out.

                   "See, she was already prepared for you. If you don't stay, you will hurt her feelings." He says.

                I laugh as well. Why can't life always be this easy and fun? Why must death and sacrifice always happen?