Out of Darkness

I lay in total darkness, not moving, not seeing, but feeling this pounding in my head. My head not only hurts but feels heavy as if something is sitting on it. I start to become aware of my surroundings, like a dreamer leaving behind her dreams. And as I do, the pain in my head becomes worse, until an involuntary moan escapes my lips. I hear whispers and then the pain lessens, but the heaviness remains. I open my eyes and find myself in a strange room. "Wha?" I ask, trying to sit up. Hands gently push on my chest, pushing me back down.

              "Don't try to move, just yet." A male voice says.

                  I turn to my right and see Altair standing beside my bed. "What. Where? What is going on?" I ask.

                 "I really don't know. Kat became concerned for you when you didn't show up for any of your classes. Said you were at her place until late. I came to check on you, knocked on your door, but didn't hear anything. I let myself in and found you in the middle of your living room floor, blood pooled beside your head. Thought for sure you were gone. I carried you here to the infirmary, and you have been here, ever since." Altair says.

                My head feels heavy, and I lift a hand to it. Bandages. That's why it feels so heavy. "How long?" I ask.

                  "Three days."

                   "Three? Days? I have been out for three days? That's not possible. I was just at Kat's house, a few hours ago."

                   "Want to tell me what happened?" Altair asks.

                       "I...I...I'm not sure." I slowly sit up, my vision starts to fade, and I hold my head, willing it to pass. Once it does, I continue to explain, "I remember being at Kat's, talking. And then it was getting late so I left and walked down the hall to my own place. I let myself in and everything seemed fine. I sat down on the couch for a moment and then heard a voice say, 'You were there', and then pain and darkness. That's it. Nothing else. When I opened my eyes, I was here."

                   "Did you get a look at your attacker?"

                "No. I had no idea anyone was even in my place. I thought I was alone. I should have been alone. How did someone get in?" I ask, starting to tremble.

                  "Ssshhh. It's okay." Altair says, reaching out a hand and holding one of my own. "Did you recognize that voice?"

                   "I heard a male voice. I'm sure of it. But I don't think I ever heard that voice before."

                 "If that's the case; I doubt there is anything I can do about it then. I do have another question..."

                  "Go ahead."

                   "Why would that voice say, 'you were there' before attacking you? What does that mean? Where were you?"

                    I shift uncomfortably. "I was... we were... Kat and I went for a walk, earlier that night. I'm really sorry. I know it's against the rules and all, but I'm so used to being able to do what I want to. And since we got here, there's been no downtime at all. We have had to be somewhere at all times. Please don't be angry with me."

                  Altair just looks at me, and for the second time since I've met him, I see a look cross his face that I can't quite make out. But just as quickly as it comes, it leaves again. "It's okay, I'm not mad at you. At least you did follow the don't go out alone rule. But there is a reason we have rules like this, and now you can see why."

                 "Why would someone just attack me like that? Were they trying to kill me?"

                     "If they were trying to kill you, they came really close to succeeding. If I hadn't come and checked on you, there is a good chance that you would have died."

                   "What? Someone tried to kill me?"

                   "I don't know, that's the information that I'm getting from the doctor."

                 "Altair?"

                "Yes?"

                  "Do I have to go back to that apartment?"

                 "Well, yes, that is your place. It's been assigned to you."

                "Can I get a new place?"

                  "I would get you a new place, but currently, we don't have any openings. I'm afraid you are stuck where you are."

 "I don't think I will ever be able to sleep there, again. What if whoever attacked me, comes back to finish the job?" The very thought of sleeping in that apartment again scares me.

Altair is silent a moment before answering, "How about this, as soon as you are released to return home, I come with you and sleep on your couch for a while?"

"Really? You would do that for me?"

"Yes, of course, I would. It wouldn't be a forever thing, just for a week or two, until you are comfortable in your own place, again. Or until we find out who did this to you."

"Thank you, so much." I gush. But on the inside, I'm absolutely terrified. I think back to the class schedule being taped to my refrigerator. I didn't put it there, so who did? Did Altair, do it? Suddenly, I'm not so happy with the idea of him coming back with me. Something tells me that he could have orchestrated the whole thing. "Altair? Can I ask a question."

"Sure. What is it?"

"Was it you?"

"Was what me?" he asks.

"The voice in my room. Was it you?" I ask.

"No of course not. Why would I attack you?"

"I don't know, I'm sorry. I guess I'm just a little paranoid."  I think I will sleep with one eye open.