Rescue

"Where is the girl?" he asks.

                "What girl?" I ask.

                  He lets go of my arm and snatches me by the hair. "Where. Is. The. Girl."

                       "Ow! Do you mind loosening your grip on my hair?"

                     "As soon as you tell me where she is." Altair says snatching my head back.

                 "I don't know. I lost her."

                    "Obviously you prefer to be bald." He says pulling even harder.

                   Tears form in my eyes as I say, "I had her, told her about her daddy, and she took off while I was asleep. I've been hunting her down, ever since."

                     He lets go of my hair. "Fine. I still have you, and you better behave yourself or you will not like the consequences. Let's just say there are much worse things to worry over than death! Now, let's go, we have to go pick up the supplies and then head back home." He pushes me forward, back in the direction of the crates and Lou.

                 Please don't let her be there. I know I told her to be there but please tell me she ignored me like she always does.

                 "If you run, my men will shoot you. Just so you know." Altair says as we make the trip back to Lou's hiding place.

                "Noted," I say. We walk in between two buildings, and I spot the stacks of crates. "What's in the crates?" I ask, feigning innocence.

                  "Food, weapons, other supplies. It's the tribute this town owes us for the protection we provide them. Why do you ask?" Altair says.

                  "They seem important to you, so I was curious." I lie.

                    He stares at me a moment and then orders one of his men, "Check the boxes! Make sure everything is there. See if the little girl is hidden inside one of them!"

                "Yes, sir!" the man answers.

               "You and you, check those boxes over there. You and I will check these boxes here." He orders his men.

               I watch, as the men take the lid off box after box. I'm almost tempted to bite my nails, I'm so afraid that they will find Lou.

               "Hey sir, you might want to come and see this." One of the soldiers says, after taking the lid off of a crate.

                  Lou! No! My heart sinks in my chest. So much for keeping her safe.

                  "What is it?" Altair asks, walking toward the soldier.

                 "This box, it's empty." The soldier answers.

                     "So is this one." Says another soldier.

                      Relief floods through my chest. In a way, I'm glad she climbed out of the crate, but at the same time, I'm annoyed that she didn't listen to me. But if she had listened...

                   "It appears that they are trying to rip us off." Says another.

                      "What's going on out here?" a mystery man says, appearing out of nowhere. He has shoulder-length scraggly hair and an equally scraggly beard.

                    "I thought we agreed on thirty crates of supplies?" Altair asks the new man.

                    "We did. And we supplied the thirty crates as agreed, as you can see before you." The man says.

                   "What I see, is that two of these boxes are empty," Altair says in that calm voice that means trouble.

                    "Are you calling me a liar? There were thirty crates filled with supplies as requested. I watched as my men filled them up. If supplies are missing, I suggest you start picking up your crates straight away instead of leaving them out where anyone can get to them." The man says.

                    "How about I just kill you and be done with it?" Altair asks, stepping towards the man.

                      "I wouldn't if I were you." The man warns. "You see, I figured you would pull a crazy stunt like this, and I hired some 'extra' help. And right now, if you would take a quick look, behind you, you will see ten armed men with their guns pointed straight at you. Now, I suggest that you take your crates and go back home. I also suggest that you don't come back here anymore. The likes of you are not welcome in Abbeville for as long as I am the mayor around here."

                  "You will regret this," Altair sneers. He backs up towards me and the other men.

                    "Are you threatening me?" the mayor asks. There is the distinct sound of someone pumping a shotgun.

                     "No, because I don't threaten people, I make promises," Altair says, angrily grabbing my arm. "Load up the boxes! I'll take care of this one, myself."

                      "No, I don't think you will." The mayor says, stepping forward. "I don't know who that poor girl is, but you need to unhand her right now! She is a resident, and we don't put up with that kind of behavior here in my town."

                    "She is NOT a resident of this town," Altair says, tightening his grip on my arm. He is holding my arm so tight I swear I'll never have feeling in this arm again.

                   "I don't care if she is just staying here for a few hours. She is here in this town, so she is a resident, now let her go."

                  "Fine, have it your way." He says arrogantly. To me, he whispers, "I found you once, I will find you, again. You can count on it." Altair gives my arm one last tight squeeze before letting go of my arm and walking off.

                   As soon as Altair is out of sight; I walk over to the mayor and thank him for saving me. "I really appreciate it; you have no idea. But you need to be careful. Altair is dangerous."

                   "You are welcome and don't worry about me. Come inside my house, here." He says. "I have something I need to show you."