Experiments

We decide the front entrance of our building isn't the safest place for a conversation. So, we head inside, and I follow Kat upstairs. "Are you going to tell me exactly what it is that is out there?" I ask once we reach the safety of Kat's apartment.

               "I'm not exactly sure," Kat says from beside me on the couch.

                  "What do you mean you aren't sure? You said the singing was a sign of something dangerous. You said we wouldn't live to see tomorrow if we didn't get inside."

                "I know what I said. And all I really know is rumors. No one is for sure on anything going on here on Rojus. Whatever is being done here, is pretty much kept secret. A few rumors escape but who knows." She says shrugging. "But the singing. Oh, I remember that. I have been so preoccupied with my mission that I just pushed it out of my head."

                "So, what is it?"

             "There's this moon in the Nashoba Galaxy, completely jungle. No other biomes. I was on watch duty one night when it happened. I heard that singing noise. I just sat there and listened to it. Thought it was kind of pretty. I was so young, my first time off the planet, everything was new and exciting to me. I should have been more careful; I should have woken everyone up. I just hate myself for my own foolishness." Kat says with tears in her eyes.

              "What happened?" I ask. She's always struck me as a tough person, I never imagined I'd see her cry. Whatever happened there, must have been terrible.

           "One minute I am on guard duty and the next minute shadows were moving into the camp. I couldn't make out much other than they walked on six legs and moved oh so fast. Several shadows moved into the camp, and by the time I sounded the alarm, it was too late. The screams of my fellow soldiers filled the air. Shouts of, 'Retreat!' could be heard over the sound of death. I fled for the ship, jumping over random discarded camp equipment, trash, and dead bodies. I slipped one time, something wet and sticky, I was sure I was going to die. I jumped up and ran to the ship, they closed the doors right behind me. The officer in charge, the one who was on duty with me, died. Apparently, he wasn't where he was supposed to be at. He left me on duty, alone. So, I wasn't blamed. That didn't help, it made me feel worse. The individual blamed for the failed mission wasn't alive to defend himself.

              Anyways, there are rumors making their way about, that Altair is heading up experiments. Crossing those strange creatures with other more deadly creatures. He is creating something brand new. Judging by the way Harmony was acting, the experiments have been successful. It's probably the reason there is a smaller PDS, surrounding the city. That's probably another reason they don't want us going out at night, those things seem to be nocturnal. It also explains the buddy system."

             "Wow. I'm sorry." I say. I know it's a lame apology but what exactly do you say to a story like that? "Kat?" I question, after a few moments of silence.

           "Yes?"

            "What is your mission?"

             "What do you mean?" she asks.

            "You said you were so preoccupied with your mission you didn't think about the singing. So, what's your mission."

           "Nothing. You must have misunderstood me." She says evasively.

                 "I don't think so but okay." Iknow I didn't misunderstand her. She's hiding something, but what? "Here's another question for you."

                "What's that?" Kat asks.

              "Do you think Altair saw us?"

                  "Do I think he saw us in pitch black darkness?" she asks. "Not unless he has somehow mastered the ability to see clearly in the dark."

            "Well, maybe not see." I say, feeling a need to defend my question. "But hear us. Or somehow know we were there?"

             "I'm pretty sure he didn't. Why would you ask?"

           "For a moment, just before everyone left, he looked in our direction. It seemed as if he heard us."

          "If he did hear us, I imagine, that would be bad. I am sure we would be punished." She replies.

            "The Cleansing?" I ask.

             "The Cleansing."

              A shiver runs down my spine. "Look Kat, I think I need to go back to my own place. It's getting late."

               "Okay. I'll see you tomorrow."

               I leave Kat's apartment and walk down the hall to my own place. I open the door and go inside. Once the lights are on, I walk to my couch and sit down to think for a while. Kat's story really is something else. No wonder she came here to live a life of peace. I bet she has a thousand other stories just like the one she told me, tonight.

            "You were there. You weren't supposed to be there." A mysterious voice says.

              What the heck? I jump to my feet and turn around, just as something heavy hits me in the side of the head. And then darkness swallows me, and I don't know anything else.