Home is Where the Mother Lives: Part 2

This is a direct continuation of the previous part. If you haven't read part one, you should do so.

I hope you enjoy. There's something Amourshippers will like at the end of this one.

As always, if you have a comment, don't hesitate to leave it.

Serena awoke slowly the next morning. It was the first time she'd slept in her bed since she'd left home almost three years ago and she felt warm, relaxed and happy. She had no idea what time it was and she didn't care. She floated in a barely awake state, just conscious enough to appreciate how pleasant everything was, but not enough to worry about anything that was going on outside the covers of her bed.

She suddenly heard a soft fluttering sound and felt something small land on the edge of the covers just above her head. Serena realized what it was and swiftly ducked her head beneath the covers.

"NOO!!!" she shouted, as she dodged out of the way of Fletchling's peck. She heard the bird Pokémon take flight and she threw off the covers.

"Come on," she said, clearly incensed. "I've been away all this time and that's how you decide to say good morning?!"

Fletchling let out a few amused chirps and flew out of her room.

Serena frowned and sighed. She then rolled out of bed and walked to her window; swinging it open so she could take in the morning atmosphere. It was a beautiful day outside. A small breeze blew and she could smell the plants of the town and the faint aroma of food being cooked. She remembered back to her childhood and all her happy memories. It seemed so long ago now.

Serena leaned against the window frame and took stock of her feelings. She was really happy to be back in Vaniville Town, but she now realized that she didn't think of this as home anymore. This was her mom's house; the house where she'd grown up. Her home was now Pallet Town. Her home was wherever Ash was.

Serena smiled, closed the window and moved to retrieve her clothes so she could get changed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few minutes later, Serena descended the steps to the dining room and found to her surprise that Ash and Grace were already there. The two of them seemed to have been enjoying a conversation and Serena felt a little awkward as she joined them.

Grace smiled. "Well it's good to see some things haven't changed. You still sleep late," she said in a mildly teasing manner.

Serena rolled her eyes. "I don't usually sleep this late," she replied.

Ash smiled. "Yeah, she's usually up fairly early. She likes cooking breakfast for us."

Serena swallowed as she heard Ash's comment. Even though last night had gone well, she was still wary of what information she passed on to her mother. She didn't want her to get any wrong ideas and the idea that Ash had spent an unknown amount of time talking with Grace made her stomach churn.

Grace looked toward the stovetop. "There's still some breakfast left. I think it's still warm," she said kindly.

Serena nodded and thanked her. She retrieved a plate and piled on some food. She then sat down and ate; occasionally adding a comment to Ash and Grace's conversation.

Once Serena was done eating, Grace rose from the table and put away the dishes. She then returned to the table and addressed Serena.

"Serena, I was planning on going out for a ride today. I know Rhyhorn has missed you a lot. What do you say to joining me?"