21

Evangeline

More time passes. I the blink of an eye, summer break has ended, and it is the Sunday before school starts.

After lunch, I am devouring another novel on Asher's bed, earbuds blasting 'breakfast' to block out the whir of the sewing machine.

The door cracks open. Christopher pokes his silvery head into the room. He tosses a large, wrapped parcel at Asher's head, mouths something I can't hear and winks before closing the door. I remove my earbuds and stare at the parcel inquisitively. "What's that?"

"Your uniform," Asher responds, lifting a blonde brow. "Didn't you know? It's compulsory for all students to wear one." My brows knit. "Oh." I say stupidly. Damn, I should've known!

He rips open the brown paper, pulls out a bundle of black and white material and hands it to me, cheeks pink. "Chris told me to alter it for you in case it was ill fitting. Can you try it out?"

-

Peachtree's summer uniform is comprised of a black plait skirt that zips up the side, and an ivory coloured button up. Apparently, students are differentiated by their tie colours. Red for first years, navy blue for second years, gunmetal grey for third years and black for fourth year seniors. Strange colour code, but whatever. Mine's supposed to be red like Asher's, but I don't need it for now.

The skirt is made of a light, airy material, and hits mid-thigh. Cotton maybe? My old school uniform consisted of a khaki skirt and pale blue polyester shirt. Compared to this, the Peachtree uniform is leagues better.

I walk back into Asher's room. The moment his eyes landed on me, his lips curl upward. It isn't his usual, sweet smile. In fact, it's more like a wolfish grin.

My spine tingles. I shift my thighs. "What do you think?" The queer expression on his face vanishes as soon as it had appeared. His eyes rove over my figure, cheeks pinking. He nods approvingly and beckons me closer. "Hmm." Asher pinches the waistline of my skirt. "This is the smallest size already. I'll have to alter the waist for you a little. Any issue with the blouse?" His eyes dip to my chest for a split second.

"Nope." I change out of the uniform and hand it to him so he can perform his magic altering skills.

I go to my room. I need to pack my bag for school tomorrow. I open up the large cardboard box situated in the centre of my room, sitting cross-legged on the fluffy pink rug. One by one, the thick coursebooks are taken out and stacked in various piles according to subject. For those to be used in the next semester, I leave in the box to put away later. Half and hour later, I zip up my school bag, ensuring I haven't forgotten anything. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?