79

Lucas

Dinner with my siblings is a silent affair. The only sounds are the clink of the metal utensils and the scraping of plates.

She knows. Yet she kept silent, all this time.

My eyes constantly flit to my stepsister, calmly spooning the takeout into her mouth, poised and perfect, despite the ruffling events of today. Daniel's guardian has already been called up and Asher got sent over next door to let them know about the situation. I've yet to notify Mom, though.

Chris coughs, interrupting the quiet. "Congrats on your first competition."

Evangeline looks up at him and smiles softly. "Thanks."

Asher pats her back. "We're really proud of you." He murmurs. "Not just for that." She blushes, and they share a heated glance.

What was that?

-

By the time everything's been settled, it's past 10. Teeth brushed, hair down, I head upstairs to my room. I enter the room, the door clicking open.

I freeze.

Oh, yeah. I totally forgot Owen's crashing here.

He seems to be having a nice dream. Owen's changed his sleeping position. Where he was previously sprawled on his back, he's now got his face buried in one of my pillows, long legs hanging of of the end of the bedframe.

I tiptoe past him, contemplating what I should do. I could steal one of my brothers' bed for the night, they wouldn't mind at all. I grab my uniform for the next day, and and extra pillow which I manage to wrestle from under the mountain on my bed.

The twins are probably busy. I wouldn't want to impose on them.

I'm still pissed at Lucas.

Asher it is, then.

I tap softly on his door, and push it open.

"Hey."

Asher puts down his phone, flashing a rare, soft smile. I clutch my pillow uncertainly. It's suddenly very, very awkward. Asher pats the spot next to him. "Sit."

I do so, keeping a little distance between us. My stepbrother chuffs and rolls over, so our arms are pressed together. His flaxen hair looks blindingly pale against the dark sheets of his bed.

"So, uh..."

"What are we gonna do now?"

I eye him from the side to see his reaction. His Adam's apple bobs. He laughs nervously, taking my hand and lacing our fingers together. He brings our joined hands to rest on top of his chest, just above his heart. I can feel the steady rhythm, sending pleasurable vibrations coursing through my blood.

"I wanna date you."

I blush at his words. I want to, so badly, to be with at least one of the people I love most, even if it's just one. The only thing making me hesitate is the fact that that relationship isn't the kind social norms look too kindly upon.

"I..."

I bite my lip, tearing my eyes from his face, squeezing his hand. "I do too. But were both minors, and legal sibli-"

Asher turns over, leaning close. I can feel his hot breath on the shell of my ear. "No one has to know."

I feel comforted. "They don't," I agree, and press a kiss to his lips.