84

Evangeline 

I tumble into the study, where Dad has a meaty hand slapped against the back of the sofa, cornering a cowering Mariam, who is pressed up against the cushions. My father instantly springs away like he's been stung upon seeing me, and his eyes darken with murderous rage.

"Why, you little..." He rises, face turning a violent shade of red. Mariam's hand twitch, and she makes a move to stand on her wobbly heels.

Dad stops short as he spots my brothers at my tail. Strong hands pull me gently backward. My back hits a hard wall of muscle, Max's warm hands resting around my shoulder in a subtly protective manner. Dad's livid expression smooths over like a tidal wave washing away marks in the sand, gone without a trace, so quickly you doubt yourself and ask it it was ever really there. "Ah, my sons. What are you doing here?"

He clasps his hands in front of him. Mariam's face is pale. Lucas steps forward and helps his mother off of the sofa, casting a wary glance at his stepfather, rightfully so. 

"We heard noise. Evangeline got worried, she wasn't careful and tripped while attempting to knock." Lucas lies smoothly. The excuse itself is rather ridiculous, but his expression is so convincing, even I almost believe the fib.

Dad glares at me witheringly, then turns a falsely pleasant smile toward his stepsons. "Well, that's no matter. As you can see, everything is fine. Your mother and I are quite exhausted, do allow u to retire for the night."

The boys look cautiously at their mother, silent concern for whether they can leave her alone with my father. I keep my gaze pinned to her form, picking u on her body language. Her finger twitches before she replies, but she dips her head imperceptibly. "Yes, children. Thank you for your concern, you may leave."

Having gotten the green light from Mariam, we murmur our apologies for intruding so carelessly,  and shuffle out of the room. The door closes with a soft click, the brass doorknob turning noiselessly under Lucas's careful hand. The moment it shuts, Max shoves me against the wall in a slightly aggressive manner, grasping me by the shoulders. 

"Evie, what the hell?"

Chris roughly pushes his brother away. "Hey! Don't treat her like that."

Max's gorgeous eyes flick to the floor, lip curling. "I'm sorry." He sighs, pulling me into a hug. I relax into his chest, patting his back.

"What's wth your reaction, though?" Asher narrows his eyes at Max. I'm getting confused here. I incline my head slowly, heart picking up on the pulse rate. "What're you talking about?"

Lucas casts his gaze to the floor. "Guys, we should talk."

-

Gatherings in the twin's giant room are usually happy events. We all pile on their massive bed, cuddle and watch silly comedies and eat chips and occasionally spend the night there as well. This time, however, its a serious matter, judging from the unsmiling faces of my brothers.

"Um, so you of all people know Tony—your dad has a hot temper." 

I nod. My hands unconsciously wander to brush my cheekbone, where Dad left me a 'gift' to go meet my brothers for the very first time. Chris looks anxious. Is he remembering Mariam and Dad's wedding day, where him and his brothers got a firsthand experience viewing Dad's violent tendencies?

"Mom never said anything, but we're a little concerned. And I think you are too, based on how you so rashly burst into the study." Lucas keeps his sea green eyes on me. With his gaze pricking my skin, there's no way I could lie. I feel like I could just get lost in those glimmering emerald depths and let the truths, all the secrets I keep inside of me flow from my lips like a stream.

"There's nothing we can actually do now, and we're not willing to take any rash action, so..." Max glances at me guiltily. I feel them. They have no idea wha to do. Even Lucas is stumped.

I nod my understanding. "Yes. And I'm sorry for not thinking before acting."

My stepbrothers smile softly and thank me for understanding.