93

Lucas

The day of Evangeline's first race has finally arrived. It appears Mom's prayers for fair weather were heard. Wispy clouds blanket the sky, shading those below and at the same time creating pockets for gentle sunlight to peep through and shine down on the track. A soft breeze blows through the grandstand, weaving it's way through the bodies of all those present. Beside me, Asher munches on popcorn as he texts someone on his phone, while Max and Chris jitter with excitement like little children. Hell, if I'm not wrong, one of them even brought an actual fucking Canon. We've managed to snag a row of seats at the forefront, allowing us a panoramic view of the track. On the other side of the field are more bleachers, where competitors are gathered, preparing. I keep a keen eye out for my stepsister.

I squint, spotting a familiar head of cropped red hair. It's a boy in Asher's grade. One of his and Evangeline's friends, I think. If he's there, then she must be around somewhere as well. I see her on the grass a few metres from him, stretching out her gazelle like, toned legs that gleam in the sunlight. As my Princess gathers up her mane of inky hair and ties it up in a ponytail, we somehow lock eyes, despite the distance. I smile, even if she might not be able to see it.

We're rooting for you.

The long distance events are being held first. With every whistle blown, air horn blasted, each heat passing, my anxiety level ramps up. The heats fly by, and it's come down to the final event for the afternoon. The Under 16 Girl's 100 metre event.

Eventually, with her number tag proudly pinned to the red and black Peachtree jersey, lane numbers start against her thighs, Evangeline steps onto the track with the other competitors in her heat. Those other girls are all from neighbourhood schools, and next to them, with bulky figures, a result from tougher training and longer hours, my Princess looks tiny. But not delicate or fragile. She smiles and exchanges a few words with the large girl in the lane next to her, most likely, words of encouragement. 

They step into their respective lanes. A few of them jump high behind their starting blocks, slap the sides of their legs, kick their spikes-clad feet, in a show of preparation. Jessica, acting as team captain in place of Daniel, chews on her nails as  she consults her clipboard, blonde hair swishing. Evangeline doesn't seem to particularly dislike her senior, but that time where I regrettably dated her, she's more than expressed her displeasure with my stepsister.

That beloved sister you treasure so much has probably got an STD from being passed around among all your brothers all the time.

That's what she said to me, the night I left her house.

The same night I kissed Evangeline.

My reminiscing is then interrupted by the appearance of some very unexpected visitors.

"You guys. What're you doing here?"

-

Evangeline 

Flicking my ankles and jumping up and down twice to get the blood flowing, I shake out the nerves in my hands and slap the lane numbers on my thighs.  Too much movement.

I stand, back ramrod straight, behind the staring block as I wait for my other competitors  to finish doing their trail runs in their lanes. My heart is pounding, saliva pooling in my mouth as  I take in the hundreds of spectators, quietly watching with pin drop silence in the gallery. Are my brothers watching? I swear I met eyes wth Lucas during warmup from opposite the field. 

"On your mark." The croaky voice of the organiser, amplified and accompanied with crackling, sounds from the speakers. 

Advancing slowly, I step onto the block, aligning my spiked shoes to the starting pads of the block, one knee to the polyurethane of the track, thumb and index finger carefully placed behind the painted white line.

It's just a 100 metres, Evangeline. Something you've run with Oliver and Landon a thousand times before.

"Set." I raise my ass in the air. High enough to give me that boost I need, but not so that I'd end up meeting the track face first before the nails of my spikes would. 

Remember. No false starts, or you'll be disqualified.

With so many eyes on us, it just makes the pressure weighing on me all the more heavy.

Make sure you do everyone proud. Run for your stepbrothers. Owen, Daniel, Mariam, and...

Dad.

Most of them aren't here to witness the event, though.

All your friends are watching, too. Including Jessica.

My legs quiver, beads of sweat trickling down my inner thigh, holding up my weight for the few seconds that pass before the announcer fires the air gun.

-

Owen

Her reaction time is slowed.

Still, she blasts off the block, slower than her competitors by a hair. Within the first 10 metres, the girls pick up speed, splitting of from the straight line formation. Evangeline's fourth from the front, out of the 8 girls. I clap and cheer her on silently, from the shadows of the bleachers, as she catches up to the bigger girls ahead, one by one, as her sprint turns to a stride by the halfway mark.

Seems like she's gotten Daniel's tips.

Evangeline's catching up, now head to head with the girl in lane 5. Not twenty steps to the finish line, her gait widens. The toe of her spike catches the track, and throws her off balance. Evangeline tumbles to the ground, kissing the track as everyone watches in slow motion. Yet, as she falls, she hits the ground, then takes the momentum of her fall to sort of roll forward to her knees, and bounce back up. Shaken from her fall, she still manages to jog across the finish line, keeping her weight on one leg and finishing seventh overall.

Several organiser staff come up to see if she's fine. I don't think she pulled or sprained anything, maybe just sustained a few scrapes. Evangeline gives a watery smile at the concern of the adults and competitors, clearly upset. Her brother and Daniel come barreling out of. The stands, parents in tow. They all look worried, while her father has a stern, disgusted look on his face. They wrap her in their arms with comforting words out of earshot.

I want so badly to go over and comfort her. However, I've no proper reason to be here. I'm still on break from schooling, and I'm still suspended from the track team. 

Why am I here, then?

To watch her run and support her, like how her and her family supported me. Her stepbrothers and even her parents are present somewhere in the grandstand, with banners and everything. Her father didn't look to pleased to be present at all, but what do I know? From what I understand, though, she has daddy issues. Just like with Daniel and I. Sessions are getting better, and I suppose he's now able to tolerate me. But I dont think that things'll ever be the same between us again, not after Lana's death.

Somehow, Daniel's here now, despite having no reason to, just like me. Reluctantly, I slink back into the shadows and out of the side gate of the school. 

I'll probably send her a text later.

I glance behind me one more time, to see Daniel with an arm around her shoulders, her head bent. I don't have to see her face to know its filled with disappointment.

Daniel and I have one thing in common now.

Evangeline.