69

Evangeline 

I hurry to the lockers after school. Students are already streaming out of the classrooms, filling the hallways with noisy chatter.

I grab my spikes and sunscreen from the locker and slam it shut, then scurry to the cafeteria where my brothers are waiting at their usual table, head bent over their phones. Daniel is there too, eyes glued to Chris's screen.

I drop my bags on the bench and slide in next to Daniel. "Hey."

Chris tucks away his phone. "Hey." The rest murmur unspoken greetings through mouthfuls of food. I steal a fry off of Max's plate and bite into it. "Do you guys have after school activities?"

Lucas shakes his head. "Nah. Asher and I are heading back after this."

"Okay." I wrinkle my nose. "Did they use a whole jar of salt on your serving alone or what?" Max chuckles. "Don't be so dramatic." He plucks the half-eaten fry out of my fingers and pops the whole thing into his mouth. Unnecessary much?

Daniel grins. "Oh, Evangeline~ Don't forget, we're doing sprints today~" I roll my eyes. "Come on, Daniel. Can't you give us a break?"

He smiles wider. "Nope. Besides, we have a bunch of friendly inter=school competitions coming up. You know what that means."

Chis laughs and claps a hand on his shoulder. "Dude. Are you even training or just bossing the kids around?"

Daniel scoffs. "What do you think? Hell, I might even be in better shape than you."

My stepbrother raises a brow sceptically. "Is that so?"

Daniel smirks deviously. "Challenge?"

"You're on."

-

"Hold still! After this we have to go already!" Lucas grumbles as he smears sunscreen on my face, keeping a hand on my shoulder. "I told you already, its fine!" I retort.

I open an eye a crack as his fingertips glide across my cheeks. Lucas's face is pinched in concentrating, a lock of mousy brown hair, curling at the ends, dropping into his eyes, which are vividly green and focused. To say the least, he looks...

on instinct, I reach up and tuck the stray hair behind his ear. He looks surprised for a moment, then laughs and slaps my cheek lightly, cheeks tinted coral. 

"What was that for?"

He winks and caps the tube, tossing it at me. "For being cheeky." Is it just me, or is he being... flirty? My heart skips a beat as I recall his drunken kiss for the millionth time. 

You've got to stop thinking about that!

I shake my head and rush out of the classroom to the field.

"You're in a rush."

I turn. "Oh, hi Owen. Are you going back home now?"

He nods and runs a hand through his messy hair. My neighbour looks disheveled in his uniform as usual. Shocking ombré hair standing on end, rumpled slacks, mismatched socks and undone shoelaces.

I snap my fingers, suddenly remembering. "Ah, I said I'd bring over some cake for you guys, right? Lucas and Asher are home so you can claim it from the fridge later." 

He smiles. "Thanks. Track?"

"Yeah."

Across the field, someone calls my name. Oliver and Landon are there, along with Daniel. His eyes land on Owen, and a chill runs down my spine when his face turns murderous. Uh oh.

Owen rubs the back of his neck, avoiding the glare Daniel is sending our way. "I'd better go." I blink and wave in confusion as my body, on autopilot mode, makes its way to Daniel. "Okay, bye."

New book in making! If you like 'Siblings?', you'll probably enjoy that one too. No title yet, 1st chapter alr drafted (pls i couldnt get it out of my mind for a whole week). It's an rh contemporary romance w school elements and a toxic sibling relationship.

As always, happy reading!

Superbrogle x3