73

Owen

The moment I step into the house, I'm greeted by the sight of a fuming Daniel Miller. Shit. I seriously have the best fucking timing ever.

"You." Daniel growls.

I freeze up instantly under the hatred in his gaze. My heart pounds in my chest. He looks so much like Lana. The same rusty hair, freckles, the same manner in which their lips curled whenever agitated.

"Look. I—I don't wanna fight." I set the box of pastries on the table near the door and raise my hands defensively.

"Just...pretend I'm not here." It's such a stupid thing to say, yet its the only one I can think of. The main thing on my mind right now is the horrible guilt eating me up inside. Right. How could he ignore me when the grudge is constantly nagging at him?

"I'm just here for the tuition gig." Emotions form a lump in my throat. I've not actually spoken a word to Daniel at all since the incident. No apologies, no nothing.

In all honesty, I really have no idea what to say. The tension in the air could be cut with an axe. His eyes drop to the pastry box, mine follow as well, and I cringe. Those are—were Lana's favourites.

He must think I merely paid a visit to mock him.

"Leave," Daniel hisses. "Stay the hell away from Evangeline and Asher. All of them."

Anger pierces through the cloud of regret in my head. Why bring Luke's siblings into this? Especially Evangeline.

Built up feelings make me open my mouth to snap back venomously on impulse. "Because they don't deserve me? Neither do they deserve you, then. Evangeline, most of all."

Daniel's rage intensifies. He balks, barely managing to keep himself calm. His balled fists quiver, itching to punch something, or someone. Me, obviously.

"You—shut your mouth!" Daniel's voice rises unsteadily, reflecting his growing fury.

I know I'm poking the bear. With a huge pole. Yet, it feels so gratifying to egg Daniel on like this. For the past few month, Lana's death has always been on the forefront of my mind, sitting in my brain like a persistent tumour. The only few times it disappeared to the back of my memory, yet still remaining a nagging presence, was when I actually, truly enjoyed myself, spending time with my loved ones, doing what I loved. Lucas and his siblings. Ora, Penny. Volunteering at the shelter.

So, my provocation is like a penance for Daniel. Let him get a feel of the torment I experienced every single day.

"Who's gonna stop me from running my mouth? No one stopped you from running yours and getting me kicked off the track team under the false claim that Owen Hale, the school's track star, had an 'injury'." Bitterness joins the tumultuous blend of emotions in me. Because of that, I'd missed out on another thing I so loved.

Daniel's eyes narrow. He bares his teeth in a threatening manner, lips curling, voice having gone dangerously soft. "Was it so wrong? After what you did.''

I shrug nonchalantly. I keep my facade arrogant and cold, despite the violently churning, negativity in me. "We're equal then, are we not? Besides, it wasn't totally my fault. Lana's the one who—"

I never get to finish my barbed quip. Daniel's fist connects with my jaw in a collision of bruising force. My head snaps to the side painfully. I think I even hear my neck crack. 

All the poisonous emotions and taunts meant for Daniel tearing at my vocal cords disappear, replaced by the radiating agony from my cheek. Daniel's chest rises and falls unsteadily, eyes burning holes into me. I barely have time to react before he lunges at me again, so fast I only feel the wind of his movement before a blur of livid freckles and dark ginger hair rain blows powered by hatred on my body. 

The third, fourth blows land on my temples, and I lose my balance, falling to the ground. Something shatters. Glass? I can barely hear anything from the shrill ringing in my ears and the pain invading my other senses. 

I don't hit back. One, because even if I wanted to enact revenge for the assault, I couldn't get in a single hit at all due to the intense ferocity of Daniel's attack, and two, I deserve this, after all that I did...

Greetings!

If you're enjoying Siblings?, do check out the latest book, Dear Sister! 

Have a lovely day!

(Promo myself heheh)