Chapter 19

Grady had brought a package to our door and Sophie brought it in. I didn't really care much until she gasped. I came over to see our human parents on the screen of the ball. I stayed quiet and observed them, they looked different but I could still tell it was them. They were on the floor and huddled together inside what I assumed was a safe center from the fires. My heart basically stopped and I felt the extreme urge to storm over to Everglem and start yelling t Alden. But Sophie stopped me and said she would talk to him tomorrow.

The next day I walked into our room and found Sophie with a satchel and taking Gildie out of her cage.

"What do you think your doing," I said and Sophie froze.

"Uh-I-um- uh- breaking the law?" She said then immediately covered her mouth.

"You? Breaking the law? You know what I'm in." I said and she didn't even bat an eye. I held Gildie as Sophie got out the crystal. As we appeared at our destination a strong blast of heat made us take a step back and Sophie quickly ripped her cape off and used it to block the overwhelming smoke as I held Gildie steady.

Sophie set up some kind of bottle and took Gildie.

"Sophie!"

"What?!" 

"What are you doing?!" 

She ignored me. 

"Come back, Gildie!" Sophie called after a little wait.

How long was too long?

...

I SWEAR IF YOU KILLED MY BIRD SOPHIE!!

Thankfully as Sophie yelled again I saw a faint glint of gold through the smoke.

"Gildie!" Sophie screamed, waving her arms. "Gildie, over here."

The gold flash changed course and disappeared into the smoke and flame. Seconds later the shimmering bird emerged from the inferno, circled once, and landed at my feet.

Screech!

Sophie was quicker to reach for her. "Ouch, you're hot!" she yelped, jumping back and thrashing her arms to cool the burn. I shrugged and picked her up.

"No she's not, she's actually pretty cool," I said and Sophie ignored me and I went to examine my bird that Sophie so mercilessly sent into a blazing fire.

Gildie's coarse fur looked singed on the edges, and her enormous eyes were clouded and watery, poor baby. Sophie took the bottle, which was filled with tiny yellow beads of sparks and capped with a glowing golden seal.

"You did it!" Sophie said then she pulled out her home crystal and leaped us all home to safety. I love fire but this was a bit too much currently.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?" Grady yelled at us when we got back. Edaline was outside tending to Gildie. I was just laying back on the couch as he yelled. Then Alden and Elwin rushed in.

"You promised," Alden said as he stood in front of us. "Just this morning, you promised."

"I ain't promised you shit," I said crossing my arms behind my head.

"I can explain," Sophie said over me and everyone went on to ignore me. Wow.

"Oh you'd better - though I'm not sure it will help at this point." he turned sad, "Bronte called for a tribunal."

"Really?"

"Why the fuck do you sound excited?!" Everyone yelled at me and I only started laughing. Least to say Elwin chose to treat Sophie's burns first. They went to talk about Yeti pee then Elwin moved over to treat my burns. We thanked him and he left. I went on to ignore the conversation until Grady spoke up.