Chapter 18

"Well damn." Was the first thing said and you can guess who said it. Sophie closed her eyes and I could feel the heartache rolling off of her. I sighed and was about to take the scroll and put it on the table when the door opened.

"What's wrong?" Grady asked as he walked in and saw Sophie's tears.

Sophie's chest heaved from a choked-back sob as I glared at him but stayed silent. "A messenger brought this scroll from Eternalia, but Iggy ripped it."

Grady gasped and rushed for the scroll as Sophie turned and fled upstairs. He called her name, but she kept running. A slamming door was heard and a minute later Grady slowly turned to me realizing I hadn't run with Sophie.

"(Y/N)-"

"Save it, you're an asswhole. And right now Sophie is more important than you guys or your feelings are." I said with a chilly glare and shoved past him roughly. I walked up the stairs slowly needing a few minutes to collect my thoughts and breathe before Sophie suffocated me with I hug I would gladly give.

When I grabbed the doorknob and pushed it wouldn't budge, so I did what any normal person would do . . . . . . I kicked it down. It startled Sophie and I looked around seeing the shades closed. I closed the door and blocked it with the chair again and exactly thirty seconds later someone, I'm guessing Grady, started knocking against it.

I ignored his shouts and headed over to the closet. I pulled my jacket off along with all my clothes. Except for my underwear, of course, fun fact elves' version of bras are not suffocating or anything so I can actually sleep with them on, although that doesn't mean I do, I was just too lazy and mentally exhausted or whatever to take it off. I put on a tank top and some loose grey sweatpants and crawled into bed and under the covers. I opened my arms and Sophie immediately dived in for the hug.

My coping mechanism was a lot different from others, I don't cry and I don't punch things. I don't get angry or distant either. I just get a lot slower physically and rely on comforting others to comfort myself. I don't really have a way to let it out or anything and yes I know it's not healthy but it's how my body and mind work, call me depressed if you want I don't care.

Sophie cried herself to sleep on my shoulder as I just rubbed her back my face not really showing any emotion all night. Don't worry I did sleep but only a little.

Soon the sun rose and Sophie woke up. I didn't have the energy to do anything with myself today so I just put my signature jacket on and called it a day. After all, I was wearing normal everyday sweatpants and a blue tank top, what else is needed. I threw my hair up into a messy ponytail and ignored the dark eye bags under my eyes. Sophie and I made our way up the stairs to the leap master to leave only to find Grady and Edaline there. 

"Foxfire," Sophie yelled quickly grabbing my wrist clearly not wanting to acknowledge them.

"I locked it down," Grady explained when the crystals didn't move. Edaline stared at the gaping hole in Sophie's cape, biting her lip, I never wore the crest because I preferred my jacket. "We really need to talk about this."

"There's nothing to talk about. You don't owe me or (Y/N) anything. We're not your daughters."

Their faces crumbled at her words, but Sophie didn't seem to care. My lips tightened and I took my glove off and grabbed Sophie's hand both to calm her and stop myself from blowing up at the two adults. Grady and Edaline both winced at my action knowing I only did this when Sophie or I or sometimes even both of us were going through a lot.

Sophie calmed down slightly at my touch and tightened her grip on my hand.

"Sophie . . . ," Grady tried.

"No, it's fine. I thought we were a family but I was wrong. We can't replace Jolie and I guess you don't want us." I just tightened my hold on Sophie's hand staring at the ground, already predicting Grady and Edaline's reactions. They took a step back. "There. We talked. Can we go now?"

"I want you girls to come straight home after school," Grady ordered, but his voice was hollow. "We need to talk, regardless of what you think. And that means no work (Y/N), we already called Kessler about it." I silently groaned and Sophie ignored him. "We're still your guardians. You have to do what we say."

"Fine. If you want to keep up the charade, I'll play along. Would you like a hug while we're at it? Should I tell you 'I love you' again?" Sophie practically growled and I met Edaline's eyes to see her practically broken. I felt a pang of guilt for making her feel that way but I shoved it down immediately. She deserved it.

Edaline covered her mouth to block a sob at Sophie's words and my cold look. Grady paled. "No. Just . . . have a good day at school." He snapped his fingers and the crystals spun to life, obeying Sophie's earlier command.

I looked away, but Edaline's muffled sobs made my stomach twist. Even the rushing warmth from the leap couldn't erase the cold emptiness as the light swept us away. Neither did Dex or Keefe at school that day. I was just a zombie all day, agreeing to anything someone said. Even when Bianna practically ordered me to let her fix my hair. Now it's a messy stylish side braid.

Soon we got back to Havenfield and I ignored Grady and went to our room. I went straight for the closet as Sophie came in and laid on the bed and listened to music.

"What did you say?" I heard Sophie say from the room, I could hear her music from here.

"Is that . . . music?" I heard Grady's voice ask and I listened in.

"Really? You want to talk about my taste in bands?"

A sigh "No."

Some rustling like people moving on a bed. " Where's Edaline?"

"She couldn't . . ." He stopped. "This isn't easy for us, you know."

Conflicting Sophie Foster emotions then, "Look, it's your choice and you made it. No point explaining."

"But you understand why we can't?"

"I don't have to. You have your reasons. They're none of my business."

"Well . . . we're sorry."

"Me too."

"It's not your fault—you know that, right?"

A snort. "Just let me know when I should start packing."

"No need," I said walking into the room and startling both of them. "Already finished packing, just tell us when to get out."

Grady looked absolutely broken as Sophie put her earbuds back in and I flopped on the bed going to scroll on my iPod. A door closing told me he finally left. Soon hours passed and then dinner appeared on a tray. Sophie took a few bites but stopped and I didn't even bother to eat it. Sophie went downstairs to put away the trays but when she got back she looked conflicted, she transmitted the memory of what she had overheard to me and I just shrugged, they're not our parents why should I care.

The next few days went quickly with nothing interesting happening. Well, there was Biana and Fitz telling us Alden and Della were probably going to be our new parents which I pouted about because that means that me and Bianna would be sisters but on the bright side she hugged me! Anyway, there was also the time Dex accused us of not trusting him or something which made me tackle him to the ground and force him to believe it wasn't the truth. We told him what really happened and he wasn't so happy about us living with the Vacker's and I agreed with him on it. Oh, and he and Sophie argued and are not talking anymore.

Anyway, let's stop here with the cliffhanger of my life as me and Sophie getting a package. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1375 words

This was long hope you all liked it, good bye! 

~Sahiko