Chapter 8

"Hey," Bianna said as she opened the gates of Everglem to let us in. "You made it."

"Yeah." Sophie managed a half smile which I just ignored and walked right in dragging her. I went on to lean against a tree as I observed them and their conversation.

Somewhere in the distance, a cricket chirped. Yeah, it was quiet and tense.

Sophie pulled on the sleeves of her pale yellow tunic, glad Bianna was also dressed casually—though Bianna's turquoise tunic had pink beaded flowers embroidered around the edges and a pink satin sash. "So, what are we going to do?"

Bianna stared at the ground as she shrugged.

Okay. . . .

"Is your family around?"

Bianna's eyes narrowed. "I knew you'd ask that." Oh drama!

"What?"

"I know you like my brother."

"What?"

"Please. It's pretty obvious."

"He's my friend." Sure, sis, sure. I smirked but was then pulled by Sophie as she started to walk away dragging me with her. "This was a bad idea."

Bianna grabbed her arm to stop us from walking away. "Wait. I'm sorry. It's just . . . girls always use me to get to my brother. I guess I sort of expect it."

Sophie just looked at her. Wait—then why was she friendly with me? "that's not what I'm doing—and you invited me over, remember?"

"I know.' Bianna stared at her hands, wringing her fingers so tight it looked painful, anyway so that's why she was acting weird. "Can we maybe start over?" She said interrupting my thoughts and both still ignoring me being there.

Sophie bit her lip. "I guess we can try."

Bianna exhaled, seeming relieved. "Good." Her eyes lit up, cute, but the glint I know that glint, I didn't have time to shudder before she spoke. "I know. We can give each other makeovers. I have all the serums to change our hair color, and we can try on some of my mom's gowns."

That's when I slowly and carefully removed Sophie's hand and tried to sneak away. Makeovers? Yeah, no thanks. Unfortunately, Bianna grabbed my arm, knowing I would try to leave when makeovers were mentioned. Fortunately, my second favorite best friend *cough* I mean second best friend came and saved me.

"Makeovers?' Keefe scoffed behind them. "You girls sure know how to have fun. Maybe you can braid each other's hair and giggle about boys while you're at it. I expected better from you, (Y/N)." I glared at him.

"Excuse me, bastard, don't talk to me like your my disappointed dad, and does the death grip on my arm seriously make you believe it's voluntary on my part," I said and he shrugged.

"What are you guys doing here?" Bianna asked, shooting Fitz a pointed look.

"We came to see if you guys want to play base quest," Keefe answered for him.

"What's base quest?"

"What's base quest!?" Me and Sophie said at the same time, her questioning plainly while I was suddenly right in Keefe's face with sparkle eyes and a love-struck smile. How did I suddenly get in his face when I was originally like ten feet away, ✨magic✨. What? A prankster never reveal's their secrets.

"Only the most awesome game ever. I call Foster for my team," Keefe announced.

Jealousy flared in Bianna's eyes as Keefe wrapped an arm around my shoulders and I felt my stomach drop. She liked him, didn't she. It wasn't a question. A small part of my brain tried to reason and comfort me by saying she was jealous because he was touching me but I shut it down. Sadness filled my eyes but I covered it up immediately with a grin. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. "How about we play boys against girls?" I said shoving Keefe off me harshly when he gave me a concerned look. He couldn't have noticed, unless..... was he an empath?