Chapter 90 - Your Good Friend Yan Wenxin is Now Online

A few days later, Guan Shanjin was busy with something. Rumours about the Lord Protector and his son spread wildly in the capital, with everyone hitting them when they were down. With how glorious Guan Shanjin was previously in the capital, there were a large number of people taking advantage of this moment to tread on him. There were even storytellers in wine shops openly talking about how Guan Shanjin had an indecent relationship with his own teacher, Lu Zezhi. These wine shops were always packed, and it further smeared the reputation of the Lord Protector’s estate.

As per normal, Wu Xingzi had no idea about these matters. He had never been the sort who liked to listen to such idle gossip and chatter. Furthermore, Guan Shanjin had already notified him earlier that there might be some adverse gossip about the Lord Protector’s estate spreading through the capital soon, and he had asked him to not pay any attention to it, so as to prevent him from feeling bad over it. Hence, Wu Xingzi kept both his ears shut, completely paying no heed to such chatter. He obediently enclosed himself in Rancui’s place, whiling away his days as he waited for either Guan Shanjin or Ping Yifan to come looking for him when there was free time.

Today, Wu Xingzi and the two girls were turning the soil in the yard. Thinking that he would still be spending quite some time in the capital, and that he was not the type to rest idly, Wu Xingzi got Rancui’s permission to draw out a small plot of land to grow some chives, cucumbers, cabbages and other vegetables to spend his time.

Yesterday, the three of them went out to buy some sprouts and seeds. After busying themselves the entire morning, the yard in front of the residence now looked rather interesting. Neat rows were laid out in the vegetable garden, the seeds and sprouts planted. Having been watered, the tender shoots looked rather adorable under the sun of the waning summer.

“Aiyah, we should have planted the cabbages a few days later. I heard that autumn’s cabbages are tastier.” Mint wiped away the sweat on her face. Not realising that there was soil on her hand, her face was immediately smeared with dirt. Osmanthus looked at her sister, and she could not help but cover her mouth and laugh.

“Ai, there are plenty of opportunities next time.” While shopping, Wu Xingzi even found pepper seeds. He recalled that in Bastion City, Guan Shanjin tended to prefer spicier food, and so he could not help but buy some of the seeds home. Once the seeds had grown, he would then use the pepper and fry some dishes for Guan Shanjin. Thinking about this, he could not help but feel delighted.

“Master, shall we heat up some water for you to clean yourself up? After working the entire morning, you’re all covered in sweat. It must feel very uncomfortable,” Osmanthus asked Wu Xingzi, who had been even harder at work this morning than her sister and her. As for herself, she had just washed her face, along with her hands and feet, with the water collected from the well.

“Ah, there’s no need. The weather is still warm, I can just clean myself up with the water from the well.”

“Alright then, please wait for a bit.” Mint did not care that her face was still dirty. Picking up the bucket, she planned to go collect more water from the well for Wu Xingzi. However, just as she left the yard, Hei’er had entered.