Chapter 63 - Not Sure What Title to Give This, Bursting Their Bubbles?

The attention of the crowd was drawn to the letters fluttering across the room. Other than Guan Shanjin and Man Yue, they all could not help but stare at the scattered papers landing slowly on the ground.

It still could not be seen for whom these letters were written. However, the name on the envelope was very big and clear, it was the name of the eldest son of the Yue family.

Whether veiled or direct, the gazes of the guests all fell onto the eldest Young Master Yue. Some could not help themselves, muttering to each other behind their hands, while Young Master Yue’s face turned ashen. It was evident that he knew where these letters were from, and he definitely knew they were not something that could be shown to the public.

“Hua’er! What’s going on?” The palms and back of Yue Dade were soaked in sweat. His ears were buzzing, and he could not conceal the trembling in his voice.

He could not completely deny the fact that he knew what his son had done privately, and he even allowed him to do so. After all, as a businessman, profits were the most important thing. As long as there was a benefit for him, why would he reject any backing or support?

In the future, this business would belong to his son. For his son to know how to seek profits for his family, Yue Dade was at first extremely gratified. However, he had never expected that this matter would become something that could be held against him.

Young Master Yue looked lost. He stared at the letters covering the floor, and did not say a word.

Yue Mingzhu was, however, the first person to pick up a letter and read it. She had always been spoiled and did not care to show any respect to Guan Shanjin. Furthermore, the person Lu Zezhi loved was her, and he also needed the Yue family. His position in Guan Shanjin’s eyes was high above the rest, and she did not believe that Guan Shanjin could really do anything to their Yue family.

Who would have guessed that after reading only a few lines, Yue Mingzhu’s daintily made-up face would actually turn pale, and even under her blush, the grey-tone of her skin could be seen. She looked at her elder brother in disbelief, her hand that was holding the letter shaking tremulously.

“D-dage, t-this… this must be fake, right….” This letter was written by Young Master Yue, and from the name of the other party, it was very clear that he was a Southern Barbarian. The contents of the letter talked about smuggling saltpeter and salt, and even mentioned mercury. From the letter’s narrative, this was not their first contact; they had been communicating with each other for quite some time already.

In the Great Xia dynasty, there was not a large quantity of saltpeter, and it was mainly used in fireworks. However, during the rule of the previous emperor, someone had invented a weapon called a cannon, and although it still could not be officially used on the battlefield, the country had kept a tight control over saltpeter.

The Southern Barbarians managed to produce large quantities of saltpeter, and Yue Mingzhu had heard her father and brother mention it before. At that time, her brother had a lot of complaints about Guan Shanjin. Because of Guan Shanjin’s control, the saltpeter could not enter the country at all. The Southern Barbarians had no clue as to what it could do, and hence piles and piles of money were basically sitting there, unable to be used. This made one’s heart truly itch to do something about it.