Chapter 68 - Is This In The Hands of Fate or Mine?

Edited by DancingDolphinsYo

Almost right on the dot, the moment Guan Shanjin and his companions left the boundary of Qingcheng County, Wu Xingzi and the others, who had come across Hei’er a few hours ago, entered the boundary.

Finally returning to his hometown, Wu Xingzi was a lot more relaxed. Although the world outside was broad and vast, it could never compare to the bottom of the little well he was used to.

Wu Xingzi’s little house was unable to accommodate so many of them, and there were also the two girls, Mint and Osmanthus. As such, Rancui made the decision to book two rooms in the only available inn in Qingcheng County. With impeccable consideration, he brought them all away, so that Wu Xingzi would be able to rest quietly in his house.

The little house was very clean. Forget about the table, chairs and the bed, not a speck of dirt could be seen even on the ground. The table and chairs had been wiped to the point where they shone, and it seemed like someone had specially tidied everything up.

There was no need to think too hard about who the culprit was. Wu Xingzi stood at his door, hesitating for a moment before he carefully stepped into his house.

He pushed the window open. The slight breeze, carrying with it the scent of earth and grass, swirled into the room, causing a note left on the table to flutter lightly.

Wu Xingzi glanced at the note a few times, feeling rather gloomy.

He naturally could guess who had left the note behind, but he did not have the courage to read it.

Instead, he pottered around his house, both inside and out. Taking out his blanket from the trunk, he shook it out and lay it down on the bed. From it came a scent of warmth, with no trace of dampness or mildew from being stored for too long. It had been sunned outdoors, before being meticulously packed away, so that when he came back to stay, there was no need for him to waste any time sunning the blanket.

Guan Shanjin had always been a very thoughtful person. During the period of time they were together, even during the moments when Wu Xingzi had been ignored, he had never let Wu Xingzi suffer even the tiniest bit. Hugging the thin blanket, Wu Xingzi sat on the bed in a trance, the only thing in his head being Guan Shanjin’s smiling face.

A long while later, he sighed, putting the blanket down. Clutching his little money pouch, he got ready to go out and purchase some offerings for his ancestors. It was still early, and the timing was perfect for tomb-sweeping.

Qingcheng County’s marketplace was one short street. The inn, the magistrate’s office and various other buildings were all located on this same street. It was just past noon, and many of the stalls selling vegetables and meat had already packed up. However, stalls selling snacks were still available, and from a distance, Wu Xingzi could see Ansheng’s beancurd stall. The handsome young fellow still had a bright, sunny smile on his face as he talked to a man sitting at his stall. After looking closely, it turned out that the man was Constable Zhang.