Chapter 86 - Tell the Truth

The day after requesting for the drug, the rain coincidentally stopped as well. Wu Xingzi woke up early in the morning, going to the market to buy some vegetables with the two girls. Upon returning home, he went to the kitchen tinkering for a bit. After he finished preparing some simple homemade dishes, he packed them up neatly in a box. He then borrowed a carriage from Rancui, and went to look for Ping Yifan on his own accord, accompanied by Hei’er.

Ping Yifan lived at the edges of Winding Liantang Path, where it was chaotic with various merchants living there as well. The shop which kickstarted his family fortune was situated right along Xuanwu Street in the south of the city, selling goods from the south. Behind the shop was a compound, which was where Ping Yifan resided.

Wu Xingzi had come here a few times before, and the shopboy at the storefront recognised him. Seeing Wu Xingzi walk in with a box of food, he greeted him warmly, “Mr. Wu, are you here looking for our boss?”

“Yes, is he around?” Tightening his grip around the handle of the box, Wu Xingzi, who was doing something bad for the first time ever, broke out in cold sweat. It was remarkable how the smile on his face did not look forced or stiff at all.

“Boss is around, please head inside.” The shopboy knew that the status of the person in front of him was equivalent to his boss’s spouse. Naturally, he would not stop him.

Wu Xingzi nodded. He turned around, giving Hei’er a wave to signal that he could head back. Hesitating for a while more, Wu Xingzi took a deep breath before taking his steps inside the shop.

Ping Yifan woke up late today. When Wu Xingzi came in, he had just been awake for a little while. He had only just been done with a bath, and was sitting in the yard with his wet hair, drying it in the sun. In his hand was a book of accounts, and he looked very focused. However, with his loose hair, his usual mild temperament seemed to be reduced a little, and instead he looked a little more alluring.

“Ping Yifan.” Unsurprisingly, Wu Xingzi was entranced by the beauty in front of him. With slightly reddened cheeks, he stared for a moment before calling out to the man.

“Hmm?” Ping Yifan had already long heard him coming in, but he just chose to play along. The old fellow had lightened both his steps and his breathing while walking in, like an old and lazy cat. Unconsciously, Ping Yifan’s heart softened into a puddle, and he did not spend any effort speculating why Wu Xingzi would make a sudden appearance. Lifting his head, he smiled at Wu Xingzi, and his eyes then fell onto the box of food in his hands. “What did you bring?”

“Just some little things.” Wu Xingzi walked over with the box, looking a little awkwardly at the stone table covered with letters and account books. Ping Yifan had never concealed any of his paperwork from Wu Xingzi, and it seemed that he had no intentions of tidying them away right now too. With a bright smile, the younger man watched Wu Xingzi.

“It’s nearly noon. I’ve made a few dishes, and even asked Rancui for a bottle of fruit wine. Shall we share them?”