Chapter 31 - Rumours

Edited by DancingDolphinsYo

Travelworn, it was two days till the New Year when they reached Qingcheng County. Adviser Wu truly had no skills at riding, and Guan Shanjin was also afraid of tiring him out. As such, they did not go very fast.

Having been away from home for over a month, Wu Xingzi felt a sort of relieved ease when he pushed his door open. The tables and chairs were covered with a thin layer of dust. Fortunately, the house had been repaired rather meticulously before winter. No matter how much rain fell during winter, there had been no leakage in the roof.

Unable to be concerned with how weak his legs felt after riding a horse for a long period of time, Wu Xingzi rolled up his sleeves to start tidying his house.

After feeding the horse and tying it up in the stable of the magistrate’s office, Guan Shanjin arrived at Wu Xingzi’s house to see him having already collected a basin of water, and wiping his furniture down.

Naturally, Guan Shanjin could not watch Wu Xingzi being all sweaty and exhausted during a cold winter day. What if he caught a chill because of the wind? Guan Shanjin walked forward and took over what Wu Xingzi was doing. Then, as if afraid of him being unable to sit quietly by the side, he sent Wu Xingzi out to buy some groceries for cooking.

“I’ve already asked Su Yang to prepare the New Year goods for us. He’ll send them over tomorrow, before noon, so there’s no need to buy too many things.” After briefing Wu Xingzi, Guan Shanjin pushed him out of the house, not even giving him a chance to struggle.

Blankly, Wu Xingzi looked at the door that had shut behind him. He scratched his nose, feeling a little secretly delighted.

Humans were not made of stone. Having travelled together by themselves for the past dozen or so days, Wu Xingzi could see that Guan Shanjin’s care towards him was extremely meticulous. He was always worried that he would be cold, would be hungry, would be uncomfortable, and always managed to arrive at a village just before sunset. Before they left, Mint and Osmanthus had secretly told Wu Xingzi that the general had never allowed anyone to ride his horse, Zhuxing. Even Mr. Lu had never had the fortune to take a ride on Zhuxing’s back, not even once.

“I believe that the general must really like you.” Mint covered her smile with her hand.

Osmanthus chimed in, “Exactly! The general is even going back home with you for the New Year! He’s never returned to the capital for Mr. Lu before.”

Wu Xingzi could only smile wryly. He completely did not wish to bring the Great Southern Garrison General back home with him to pray to his ancestors! How was he going to account to his ancestors about him?

Father, Mother, my ancestors, This is the… pengornis I’ve been thinking about. I’ll be living with him temporarily for a period of time. Please bless this pengornis with the best wishes possible, that it can reach its utmost potential, garner great achievements, and let it be forever unyielding and filled with perseverance.

Wu Xingzi was afraid that his parents and his ancestors would immediately enter his dream that night and teach this unfilial son a lesson!

As such, he remained conflicted throughout the entire journey home, but Wu Xingzi still did not manage to come up with a good suggestion that could strike a happy balance.