Chapter 27 - Body Language

Katerina's POV

I feel as if I've been holding my breath. Hearing the words, I love you from Tommy has me floating on air. No one believed this moment would ever rise, yet I am in his arms, knowing there's much more between us this time. Smiling, I nuzzle my face into his chest and sink into this euphoric moment. Listening to his heartbeat, I close my eyes, allowing my mind to take me back to yesterday. Remembering my tormented state, I blow a defeated breath. I didn't notice Tommy at the ceremony. I was trying to avoid the eyes of the Morellis and focus on becoming koubara to Nick and Julia. I fought off my emotions relentlessly. Although I was proud of Nick, I was also envious. I wanted what they have that beautiful commitment between a man and woman, and I was breaking. However, the reception was my ultimate downfall. Locking my eyes with Tommy shattered me, and I stepped out several times. Choking on heartbreak, I struggled to contain myself.

"Let me into your thoughts," His husky and demanding voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Why did you wait till after the wedding?" My curiosity gets the better of me. The night was dismal, and he could've ended my suffering quicker. Drawing circles with my finger on his chest, I'm anxious. Having this open conversation with him is strange when I've spent the last two years hiding my every thought and desire, leading me to make constant assumptions.

"Because you need to be at your brother's wedding, and this between us was going to take time."

I nod. He's right. Feeling his fingers run through my hair, I close my eyes as my body relaxes. Throwing my legs over his, I want to stay here forever, but I'm flying out tonight, which is devastating. "How's this going to work?" I mumble, wondering why I don't want to be parted from him. "I want to stay here and not fly back."

Tangling his fingers into my hair, he demands eye contact, "If you don't go, you'll regret it." I've been focused and obsessed with obtaining my Ph.D. for so long that I'm tired. The constant setbacks make me feel like it's just a foolish dream.

"Will I?" I question unsure.

His eyes narrow as he reads me. Just a few months ago, I stood my ground, refusing to give up my studies, and here I am saying the complete opposite. "Yes, you will," he remains confident.

"How is our relationship going to work?" My concern is evident, and I worry that if I leave, things will revert for Tommy and me.

Sighing heavily, he releases his hold on me and rubs his face. "We travel back and forth..." pausing, his brows pull together in thought. "Once a week, I'll fly up, and on weekends you fly back. Until you get a transfer." Standing, he throws on his sweatpants and paces. I've triggered unwanted thoughts, and curiosity, along with sadness, creeps upon me.

"I don't want the distance to affect us." I lower my eyes and fiddle with my fingers as I sit on the bed. At the time, accepting this position seemed like the right move for me, and perhaps as a short-term solution, it was. I never thought Tommy and I would ever genuinely commit to each other, and I was desperate to get away, but all that has changed.

Leaning against the dresser, he crosses his arms over his chest, waiting for our eyes to meet, "Neither do I, so we will ensure it doesn't."

I'm so conflicted. On the one hand, I don't want to be separated from him, and I'm willing to give up everything, but on the hand, I've battled so hard to stay on track with my passion. Dislodging the clog in my throat, my fears lead me to question in hopes it will force his hand and keep me near, "won't I soon become a target?"

Sighing, he hikes a brow, responding with a question, "What are you trying to achieve?" Impelling himself off the dresser, he steps towards me, "Do you want me to stop you, Katerina?" he hums, taking another step and focusing on my rapidly rising chest. "One day, you will forget this conversation and blame me for the sacrifices you had to make."