Chapter 21 - It getting harder to breath

Tommy's POV

Arriving at the lab in Columbia, I ignore the personnel and head straight for the board room. My mind runs rapid, and these fucked up dreams have my heart thundering with fear. Pushing the door open, I unbutton my suit jacket and pull up a seat. I'm going insane; the solid barriers I once established to revoke my thoughts have now turned into a house of cards, ready to crumble. The noise in my head is becoming louder, screaming for Katerina, and it's crippling.

Picking up the jag, I pour myself a glass of water. I'm on the verge, ready to fly back to Canada, kicking down her door and forcing her to yield to me without an escape. Anxiety constricts my chest, and I find myself experiencing everything I once successfully shielded myself from. Without a doubt, Katerina is bringing me to my knees, breaking me into pieces, and I never thought any woman could touch me deep enough to shatter my walls. I'm left vulnerable. My mind is a hurricane, and I'm standing in the center, watching as my existence threatens to be torn apart.

Blowing a breath, I glance outside, watching my brothers interrogate the staff. On edge, I stand, pacing frantically. A thin coat of sweat consumes me, and I feel cold. I keep reminding myself a heart doesn't feel it's a stupid muscle, and all this is in my head. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I squeeze my eyes shut as a migraine starts to pound. I need to release some of my anger.

"Tommy," sighing, I veer my eyes to Stefano as he, Raffaele, and the head chemist walk in. I remain standing as they take a seat. Resting back in his chair, Raffaele remains expressionless. "Fentanyl!" Stefano states, "Explain it to us." His voice is assertive.

Darting my eyes to the man in his early fifties, I study his body language. His breathing is unsettled, fear evident in his eyes as he constantly fidgets. Running his fingers through his thick hair, he avoids eye contact, "I don't know who laced the batch." Evicting my throat, I force away thoughts of Katerina and bring myself back to business.

"Fentanyl laced cocaine risks business partnership with governments specifically." Raffaele's eyes narrow as he speaks. Through the years, we have worked hard to establish our business relationship and secure distribution across Europe, The States, and South America. It keeps politicians happy and receiving a decent profit while allowing us to hit their streets freely, with authorities turning a blind eye. A lethal batch will only cause panic amongst the civilians, and governments will be forced to seize products making some arrests to sweep the incident under the rug.

Dragging my feet toward the man, I clasp his shoulder applying pressure, "Instantly, all our shipments will be seized at ports, and we will have millions in losses."

Slowly sweeping his eyes, he meets mine, his attempts to hide fear fail. "I understand," he nods.

Diving my hands into my pockets, I give Stefano a stern nod, "The facility is secure, so who was the insider?" my brother demands answers.

Fumbling for words, anxiety consumes him. Darting my eyes between my brother, I'm quick to point my gun and tug on the trigger, making an example of him. Remaining stoic, my brother watches as his body slumps onto the boardroom table, and a steady flow of blood streams from the bullet hole. The fire of my gun draws the attention of the remaining staff, and they stare in horror. My eyes focus on one individual; he displays shock, anger, and heartbreak. He would be around my age. His dark raging eyes meet mine, and he falters quickly, turning his back to me.

Clicking the safety on, I tuck my gun back into my pants. "Find a replacement, Stefano, and find out who the man standing in the corner is." Gaining composure, I sweep my eyes to meet Raffaele's, "I need a week off." I state rather than question. It's becoming harder to breathe, and I need space away from everyone.