Chapter 10 - Carnage

Tommy's POV

Tugging on my hair, my mind is hectic as I run through all my fucking options, and I'm limited. My jaw clenches, watching my father glue his phone to his ear. If it were just us two, I would risk the civilians and open fire, but Kon's presence restricts me further. Resting my hands on my waist, I lower my gaze. As long as I keep Katerina's father within these walls, he's safe. There's no penetrating the bulletproof glass on the façade. Diving my hand into my pocket, I dial Paul's number. The phone rings out, and I'm fuming. Hitting the call button again, it rings a few times before he answers, "Tommy."

"I have a lingering threat and no one on the trigger. My mother's restaurant now!" My voice deepens as rage explodes.

Shuffling is heard as he confirms, "On my way." Disconnecting the call, my eyes seal shut and allow relief to numb my body.

Clasping the back of my neck, my father assures me, "Your brothers are on the way." He demands, "Compose yourself. We have it under control."

Scoffing, I shake my head and blow an enraged breath. I have Kon's life weighing on my shoulders, and my chest constricts thinking about the Alexiou family's suffering if I fail. This is the burden of attachment, and I can no longer do business in the same manner. Every decision now needs to take Katerina into account, her feelings and needs. I've never been more miserable in my life. My father is fooled by my grandfather's vision, family men with a dark and dangerous lifestyle. The two don't go hand in hand. Tragedy will strike, and resentment will build rapidly.

My mind drifts off, recalling the night my parents received the news that Raffaele ended the relationship with Asimina. My father was livid with Raf, and I witnessed my brother pinning my father against the wall for the first time. Before they could come to blows, we all intervened. Luciano's words fell on deaf ears; my brother's mind was already decided. Asimina's rape and the loss of their child killed part of Raffaele, and from that point on, fear constantly suffocated him. My brother was a fucking wreck, which forced my father to take control of business while Raf executed every Agosti gang member he could get with hands-on. Raffaele should have never allowed Mina to get close, but he did, and he opened his mind to the possibilities which crushed him later.

Rubbing my face, I groan in frustration. Katerina can consume me, and I've managed to bury any thoughts that would lead me to fall because it was easy to put distance between us. We weren't living together, unlike Raf and Mina. Out of sight, out of mind is valid.

Sweeping my eyes around the kitchen, the Chefs glance away quickly. "Keep your focus on the fucking meals." I seethe and pull the door open.

Stepping out, I clench my jaw and focus on Kon. It intrigues me how oblivious he is to danger looming. Holding a bottle in his hand, my father nudges me forward; determined to keep Kon in the dark, he composes himself. Slow steps carry me as I try to figure out how to keep my shit together until the boys arrive. Pulling up a seat, I crack the bottle and pour Katerina's father another drink. "Nervous?" he questions humorously.

"It's a big deal." I retort. He has no fucking idea. Raising my glass, I encourage him to scull, and he takes the bait.

Losing himself in thought, he smiles, "have you thought about how you will propose?" His eyes meet mine as he picks up his freshly filled glass, swirling the liquor. I shake my head no and refrain from saying I'm still hoping you open your eyes and refuse. "She doesn't like the spotlight," his memories are evoked, and he laughs, adding, "in fact, she hates it. She gave up performing in ballet because she kept freezing on stage. Having so many eyes on her throws her into a spin."

"I'll keep that in mind," I clear my throat, "Cheers." Taking a small gulp of my liquor, I watch my soon-to-be-father-in-law drown another.

Anxiously I send a text, "ETA?"