Chapter 9 - Dangerous Games

Katerina's POV

The night took a pleasant and unexpected turn. After an exquisite meal and delicious dessert, I'm now dancing with Leon. My frenzy nerves have long settled, and I'm at ease. Smiling, I appreciate the kindness he has shown me. Thinking back to every occasion we have attended, he's always been quiet and stayed out of the drama. Generally, Leon is well-mannered and disciplined. However, his personality traits haven't allowed any of us ladies to get to know him on a personal level, so he remains a mystery.

Nevertheless, I'm so fucking grateful he came to my rescue. He's made the night tolerable. "I can't thank you enough," I clear my throat. He's managed to keep my mind and focus off Tommy, and I've enjoyed myself through general conversation. Apart from simple facts such as he enjoys cooking and met the Morelli's through Alex, he hasn't given anything else away.

I observe as his eyes keep sweeping the area. After the last Red Rose ball, everyone is taking precautions, "No need to keep thanking me. You're a Capos sister, and you looked distressed."

My cheeks flare as I lower my head, and I am mortified. All my efforts to mask my anxiety failed, and all I archived was to psychically and mentally drain myself. "I was that bad, huh?" I utter as we continue to sway to the music. Leon's silence has me glancing up at him.

"No," his answer is short and not comforting. My eyes travel and land on my cousins, taking and laughing with the rest of the group. The men occasionally glance our way, and I feel like a burden. I've pulled Leon away from the group tonight, and he is stuck engaging in meaningless conversations with me. The moment Tommy's eyes veer, I look away. Perhaps my confession has me feeling this way. The cruelty of rejection dawns shame on me, or maybe I never had a place amongst them, and they tolerated me for the sake of my cousins and brothers.

Wavering my thought, I'm desperate to stop thinking and continue the meaningless conversation, "I haven't ever really had the chance to get to know you. With great embarrassment, I only realize how much of a gentleman you are now!" A crooked smile surfaces and he refrains from laughing, "Why are you single?" I pride and start thinking of a possible Tessa and Leon hook-up. He cleans up well in a suit, and, surprisingly, he's thoughtful and gentle. 

"Well, you're a little noisy," he teases humorously, averting his eyes to meet mine.

"It's a woman thing," smiling, I retort and persist, "I just don't understand why no woman has dug her claws into you." 

Guffawing, he leads me off the dance floor as the song ends, "I have a wealthy account, and most women I've met are interested in money. The ones that are not don't desire this lifestyle," he affirms. Ordering a drink at the bar, he glances over my shoulder. As I nod in understanding, his curiosity piques, "You agree! To what exactly? Is it the wealthy bank account you're interested in or don't desire this lifestyle?" His features harden instantly as he interrogates me.

"Neither" Accepting the drink, I elaborate, "Everyone aims for comfort, Leon and I desire to pay my expenses with ease. Leaving from paycheck to paycheck is difficult. But I'm not drawn in by wealth." His eyes narrow, he's trained to read body language, and I'm under the microscope. "I won't lie, when I first discovered the nature of business you all engrossed in, I worried for my cousins and brothers, but then I met you all, and personality triumphed." His brows pull together in confusion, "Somehow, family values and loyalty exist in the nightmare that surrounds all of you." Taking a sip of my drink, I mumble, "The darkness is silenced, therefore isn't a constant thought."

My love for Tommy was willing to overlook his reality, and I was willing to accept every aspect of his life and allow him to lead. Placing my drink on the bar, I smile weakly, "I nodded in understanding because I assumed you were trying to relay that everyone woman you have encountered hasn't accepted you and all your flaws. I can relate. Well, with men instead...."