Chapter 57: What A Shame

Tommy grabbed my wrist and pulled me up the stairs as I struggled in his grasp. His grip tightened and I yelped out in pain. Tommy pulled me into my room and pushed me onto the bed. I bolted up so that I was sitting. I was relieved to see Tommy was over by the closet. He was not forcing himself on me. Not yet, at least.

Tommy pulled out a duffel bag and threw it on the ground. He opened up the drawers and tossed in my clothes.

"Tommy, I'm not going anywhere," I said.

He glanced over his shoulder and narrowed his eyes. I felt my stomach slide up into my throat.

"Jules, don't argue," he said.

"I'm not going to be yours," I said.

I slid off the bed. My knees shook underneath me. Tommy threw the strap of the bag over his shoulder and turned around to look at me. His jaw was clenched and his fists were balled.

"I'm putting our stuff in the car," he said. "I'll be back in ten minutes. I'm going to find the money and gun that Dad hid in the barn."

"I'm not-"

Tommy grabbed the back of my head and smashed his lips against mine. I tried to push him away, but it caused him to kiss me even harder. I turned my head so that his lips brushed against my cheek. He twisted his fingers through my hair and pulled my head back.

"When we leave you better have a better attitude," he warned me. "If you don't, there will be serious consequences. Understand?"

I nodded and Tommy let go. He stormed down the steps. I did not move until I heard the kitchen door slam shut. I ran down the stairs, grabbed Hunter, and cradled him to my chest. I hurried back up the stairs and into Tommy's room.

Carrie was lying on her stomach. Her red back glistened in the morning light. Trickles of blood had dried on her bare ribs. Her eyes were puffy from crying.

"Julie," she said. Her voice was hoarse.

"Can you watch Hunter?" I asked, setting him down next to her. Carrie smiled and raised her hand so that she could rub his stomach.

I grabbed Tommy's dresser and dragged it across the ground. Carrie looked up at me when she heard the screech across the wooden floor.

"What's going on?" she asked.

She raised herself off the bed, and her face winced in pain. I pulled the dresser in front of the door.

"I need to keep Tommy out of the room," I said.

"Why?" she asked. "Is he angry?"

"A bit. We need to keep him out of here until Jimmy gets home. He will keep us safe."

"Julie, we need to leave."

The kitchen door slammed downstairs and my heart jumped in my chest. The dresser wasn't going to keep Tommy out. I wish I still had that lock on the bathroom door.

"We need to push the bed toward the door," I said. "Can you stand?"

Carrie nodded and struggled to get onto her feet. I grabbed the mess of blankets and threw them onto the floor. I picked up Hunter and set him down. I helped Carrie as she sunk down into the nest of blankets.

"Julie?" Tommy called out.

"Be quiet," I whispered to Carrie.

I pushed the bed toward the door. I cursed as the bed screeched across the floor.

"Julie, where are you?" Tommy asked, and then a door slammed shut.

His steps became louder as he walked toward the room. I looked around the room for something else to barricade the door with, but there was nothing.