Chapter 10: A Glimmer of Hope

I woke up with cramps in my lower stomach. I didn't have a calendar, but this told me that I've been in this house for a week. I was in the bathroom going through the cupboards when Jimmy walked in.

"What are you looking for?" he asked.

"I...um.." I scratched the back of my head. "Do you know what a tampon is?"

"Oh." Jimmy's eyes grew big. "I heard about this"

My cheeks reddened as he opened one of the cupboards under the sink. He grabbed a box and set it down on the counter. He didn't say anything to me as he left the bathroom.

When I was finished, I went back into the bedroom. He had on a pair of jeans and no shirt on. His back was to me. He turned around when he heard me.

My eyes locked onto his chest. He had a long silver chain around his neck, and at the end of it was a key. It must be the key to the doors. They were wearing them so that I would not be able to steal it. I was going to have to find a way to get it off of his neck.

He pulled his shirt over his head. He reached forward and grabbed my wrist and pulled me toward him. My heart jumped as my feet stumbled, and it wasn't a very graceful way for me to come over to him. He wrapped his arms around me and pressed his lips against mine. The thought to push him away was slowly leaving my mind as I realized that it was no use. I stood still with my hands pressed against his chest.

"You're so beautiful," he said before kissing my temple. "I'm so lucky to have you."

My lips lifted into a faint smile, but I quickly wiped it away. I can't let myself accept compliments from a murderer. I refuse to lose my mind that way.

Someone banged on our door. A groan came from Jimmy's throat and I lifted my head to look at the door.

"We're coming, Tommy," he shouted. He slid his hands around my neck and pulled me in for another kiss. "We better get going."

I nodded. He grabbed my hand, and he pulled me toward the stairs. Tommy and Charles were already at the table eating. Charles had a paper in his hand. Jimmy shoved a bowl of porridge into my hands and I sat in my usual spot.

My heart felt as if it jumped into my throat. Nothing is usual about this place. I cannot think that way. I will only have a couple more days here before somebody finds me.

As I ate, I looked around at all of them. The same silver chain was also around Tommy and Charles' neck, poking out from the collars of their shirts. They all had a key on them.

"Taylor says that Emme is pregnant," Charles read from the paper, which must have been a letter. Their eyes lit up and Jimmy and Tommy high-fived each other across the table. "They already moved into their place, so it'll be good if they can have a boy soon."

"That means Juliet should be pregnant soon," Tommy said.

I gagged on my breakfast. Tommy smirked. Jimmy scowled as he ate the rest of his porridge. I should have assumed that they would want children.

"Juliet has only been here for a week," Charles said. "It's more important that she gets settled here before she starts giving me grandchildren."

"What if I don't get settled?" I asked.

"Don't worry," Charles told me. "You'll be settled here before you know it. We are your family and we love you."

All of their eyes were staring at me, and it felt like acid burning through my skin. I have no idea how to respond to that.

"Juliet, what should you say?" Jimmy asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Thank you?" I guessed.

"No problem," Charles said. "Now boys, I think we should get out there and start working before we lose the day."