Chapter 52: Maybe One Day

I slept through Carrie's screams much easier than I anticipated. Hunter's cries were the only thing that would wake me. I would rock and feed him until he fell asleep.

My eyes fluttered open when Jimmy ran his fingers along my cheek and into my hair. The sunlight was filling the room. I rolled over onto my back and stretched out my sore muscles. Jimmy must have not set an alarm.

"Good morning, sweetheart," he said.

"Good morning." I dug the heel of my palm into my eyes.

"I didn't set an alarm," he said. "I wanted you to get your rest. I know that dealing with Carrie can be a lot of work."

"Thank you."

"Get changed quickly," he said. Jimmy tossed a pile of clothes down beside me. "Carrie is still in Tommy's room. He told me that he wants her to stay there all day, so don't let her leave."

"I won't."

I slipped on the long striped dress. The bottom was worn out and faded. How many girls had this dress been passed around to? I combed my fingers through my hair and tied it into a bun. Jimmy watched me.

"You're so beautiful," he said.

"Thank you," I said.

Jimmy wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in toward him. I cupped his face in my hands. I traced my finger along his scar. He leaned down and kissed me. His fingers tightened into my back and I got up on my toes to deepen the kiss.

Somebody pounded their fist on our door. Jimmy groaned and broke the kiss. His arms were still tight around me.

"What do you want?" Jimmy asked.

"I need to talk to Julie," Tommy said through the door.

"About what?"

"Just get out here."

Jimmy grabbed my wrist and pulled me over to the door. He opened the door and leaned against the frame. His body was blocking me from Tommy, who had his arms crossed over his chest.

"Tell her what you need to say," Jimmy said.

"Can I talk to her alone?" Tommy asked.

"Not a chance," he said. "I don't trust you alone with her."

"I'm just talking about Carrie. I'm not going to touch her."

"I don't care. Just tell her what you need to say. I can hear it too."

"Fine."

Tommy ran his fingers through his hair. I put my hand against Jimmy's back. I was thankful to have him between Tommy and I.

"Jules, I don't want Carrie leaving the room," Tommy said. "She's tied up right now, but you can untie her. Just don't let her leave the room."

"I'll try my best," I said, swallowing past the lump forming in my throat.

"She has a wound on her stomach," he said. "If she tried to overpower you just go for that. You'll stop her."

I squeezed my eyes shut and nodded. I hoped that I would not have to hurt her. Hopefully, she has warmed up to me enough that she will listen to me.

"Okay," I said.

Tommy glared at Jimmy before running down the stairs. Jimmy turned around and put his hands on my hips.

"Go get Hunter from Dad," he said. "I love you. I know you'll do a great job with Carrie."

"Thank you," I said. "I'll go get Hunter."